Disable smart-blinds when window sensor reports that the window is open to prevent crash?

Hey there,

as my topic states I have some IKEA smart blinds and I have window sensors on those windows as well. I am aware that I can prevent an automation from lowering the blinds when the sensor reports that the window is open but:

… is there any way to disable the blinds for example when I tell google to close all blinds or click the lovelace button to close all blinds?

I would recommend using cover template entities for this where you can evaluate the sensor prior to lowering the blinds. You would end up with two sets of blinds, the “real” ones and the templated ones that are smarter, the templated ones are the ones you would want to push to Google so that when you issue the generic command to close all blinds that it issues “cover close” on all blinds but your cover template decides if that really is going to happen or not.

1 Like

Thank you for the input!
I´ve used HA for quite some time now but never had to do anything like that. Would you mind to explain how to do that in more detail?

A cover template is just a way to add your own device to HA. You control every aspect of how it works, like what to do when it’s asked to open or close. So, within those commands you simply check your sensors first and if everything is OK you tell your actual blinds to open/close/etc.

Thank you very much!