Disappointed in the new release - why focus on a cloud platform?

As usual I really looked forward to the new release of HA 2021.10. I make time in my schedule so I can update my HA Core and fix what needs fixing with every new version. Unfortunately, this release was a major disappointment for me. And, judging by the replies I got earlier on Reddit, I’m not alone.

The source of my disappointment is the huge emphasis which was put on the “all new” Tuya integration. I feel there are multiple issues with the integration and how it was launched. Let me explain.

With the update all users who had Tuya devices are forced to upgrade to the new version. I understand that the API is changing, but such a sudden and hard change is difficult to manage for many users (what happened to depreciation cycles?). Not only are we forced to change, but a lot of features are still missing. I for example have a single Tuya fan and can no longer control its speed. Plenty of users report missing functions (covers, humidifiers, …) So instead of an upgrade, it rather is a downgrade; not quite the “latest and greatest” we were promised.

Secondly, the enrolment process for the integration is complex, forcing every user to create a development account. I thought Home Assistant was supposed to get easier to understand? I know HA won’t be for technical novices any time soon, but making me subscribe to (and manage) another developer cloud account just to access my own devices. (I myself am not a technical novice by the way)

And that brings me to my main issue: what happened to “local first”? I thought that was the core of HA? If so, why put so much emphasis on an integration which goes directly against that principle?

As I said, this would have been easier to digest if it would not have been announced with such fanfare, or if no features would have been lost, or if the setup would have been less complex. Unfortunately none of that is true.

Now I’m not just here to complain; I also want to share how I think things could have been (a lot) better.

1. Leave the old integration as it was. Yes, it will be obsolete soon, but there are/will emerge possible replacements in the HACS store, even with full local access such as localtuya.
  2. Replace the integration only when you have feature parity. The new integration should be at least as capable as the old. If you can’t do that, then allow the user to choose. What you have done now is basically remove Tuya for plenty of users, that cannot be the goal, right?
  3. Make Tuya part of Home Assistant Cloud. Considering you are working with Tuya, why not make it so that people who subscribe to HA Cloud can just link their Tuya account to a central Home Assistant Tuya Development Account? After all, is that not how the Tuya platform is supposed to function? That way you could make it easy for users to onboard: just authorise from the smart life app & you’re good to go. (Alternatively you could still enable the “hard” route similar to how it works for Google Home or Alexa.)

The only reason why I am sharing these thoughts (hope it is not a rant) is that I care about Home Assistant and what it stands for. What I saw in the community since the release is that people are not happy with this change and some are even outright questioning the direction HA is going in. If the development team wants to make sure the community stays healthy and thriving, these doubts and questions need to be addressed.

34 Likes

My opinion: if local first is at the top of your priorities,.why the heck are you buying devices that are cloud-only in the first place?

Localtuya.is a just a hack. ALL tuya wifi devices are cloud only. Whatever cloud access HA have to those is left at the goodwill of tuya itself, and I must say they seem more HA friendly than 99% of the others.

Just go ZigBee or zwave…

13 Likes

Tuya promised local operation within this integration but have either abandoned or at least delayed this. Until Tuya deliver this HomeAssistant should have stood to its tenets and not given it the visibility and endorsement that it has done.

Don’t feed the cloud.

8 Likes

Simple but pertinent answer, don’t upgrade.

1 Like

I never actually used the old TUYA integrations just because it really unusable. The beta version via HACS is actually something that usable even though it does not support all devices just yet, however, that works great. Now for those that are unsupported, I implement local tuya, however, this addon seems to be abandoned by the developer so the future is gloomy.

For those that do not want the new integration could just stay with 2021.9.7 right?

The v2 one in HACS is not the one thats in the core now, they are different apparently

Hopefully someone will fork localtuya and continue it for those who use tuya devices

it is under active development. Latest release 7 days ago :

Seems hardly abandoned .

1 Like

Huh?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Before moving on to Local Tuya I managed all tuya based devices with the old Tuya intergration to HA and that integration was indeed working quite well.

2 Likes

hahahahah… some services from my newer TUYA dont actually work using the old integrations. Which is why never used it and go straight into V2 + LocalTuya

Long story short: Avoid tuya based devices whenever you can.

3 Likes

I guess so, currently I only attach one device to local tuya since I got many problem arise from previous version. But yeah my bad.

Agree…and currently try to get sonoff instead hahahahaha…

They did say on the V2 thread that they didn’t see a point in local control as everyone has the internet nowadays. Besides being beside the point, the writing was writ large on the wall at that stage.

1 Like

Fact is, localtuya will never be the one-stop solution, because it can’t be.
Typically, battery powered sensors only wake up once in a while to push data to the cloud. They can’t be polled, because they are sleeping 99% of the time.

Which is understandable, but for the majority of devices it should be fine.

B

Shelly. They even gave Home Assistant users a special discount a few days ago.

unfortunately shelly is not available in my country, so I’m out of luck

I ordered direct from shelly.cloud to NZ.

OK, so you, and all the people who “Like” your post, should send their expressions of disappointment to the developers of the new Tuya integration, namely Tuya itself because they built it and the API that employs it.

BTW, this forum and the GitHub Core repository are littered with complaints about the new Tuya integration and what they have in common is that no one from Tuya is responding to them in any evident way. Please take that into consideration before throwing darts at the Home Assistant project and its development team.

1 Like

Sorry @123 i have to disagree with you, The core HA Devs have to take some responsibility for this one, they allowed this half baked integration to be merged with features less than the previous one. They have not been seen either to assist them other than to close of github issues that mention the v2 hacs edition, which people rightly or wrongly thought was the one that was being integrated natively into HA with all that it supported.

Why was there no agreement between them to make sure that Tuya support would be able to assist if they integrated on a date, also wonder why they integrated it during a national holiday in china and not wait till next month

6 Likes