Disappointed in the new release - why focus on a cloud platform?

More the fact they have not responded to anyone concerns of even offer assistance to those who have non functioning tuya devies other than we dont support that, yet we did in previous release

why you buy Tuya devices?

i have none requiring tuya anymore, i flashed, changed chip or got rid of them

Because in the past, they contained an esp8266 and could easily be converted to Tasmota or ESPHome. Unfortunately, Tuya moved away from ESPs

The fact is that they were invited / asked to do so by HA, as you pointed out.
They are professionals. I’m sure they assumed that the HA team properly did a gap analysis between V1 and V2 before asking them to move V2 (partially, so far) to Core.

And maybe HA did it, but just preferred a supported (code-wise) V2 to a hacky stale V1.

Additional to the above, this is only about Wifi tuya. The zigbee ones work quite well with any coordinator without requiring any special integration.

Fortunately, I don’t have any Tuya equipment and I won’t buy any after experience.
I think someone from the HA development team should comment on why cloud integration has been added, which does not work well, see the HA homepage.HA

1 Like

Maybe, but HA had the opportunity to delay the release so things like covers, dimmers could at least work as they did previously. Read the PR’s for the Tuya integration submitted about this and see they made decision not to add covers till next month.Why not instead wait till next month for a proper release with covers and dimmers working, instead of half baked one, why the rush?

1 Like

Remove cloud integrations, and half of the HA integrations are gone.
You don’t want cloud? Don’t buy/use cloud products, as simple as that.

Now, where will I get my weather forecast from… :thinking:

EDIT: To be precise, out of 935 integration with an iot class, 383 are labelled cloud

You’re going back and forth :wink:
My point was exactly that it was a HA issue more than a Tuya one.

To be fair, there are plenty of cloud integrations. 5 new integrations in 2021.10. All are cloud.

I wasn’t talking about the cloud in general, but why added cloud integration that doesn’t work well

My wife and I were walking the dogs today, and were agreeing we should do this more often. She suggested screen free days might get us out more. I stated that was ridiculous, how would we know if it was raining, or even if the sun was up.

5 Likes

I agree with Thomas for the fact that Home Assistant should be about local first. Like Google Assistant, it should be possible to connect anything, including cloud based stuff, but that should not be the frontpage issue of a release.

How long will it take that we can use our own devices, cars and even homes we payed for? In the next upgrade your Sonos could probably depreciate functionality that was key for you and working fine, or your Ring doorbell will no longer allow you to look at the door video unless you have an account sharing everything with them.

I saw Home Assistant as an opportunity to avoid the lock in and keep my private world outside the greedy hands of others I don’t know. Yes I made mistakes too. Like my Solar Edge installation. It turned out that my model was using their cloud based API. Therefore they bring the data to SolarEdge and with some luck I was allowed to get a rate limited option to get some back and they will never give you the key to the local API. So, integrations with cloud suppliers should be possible, but it should not be something to proudly announce, rather something to be abit ashamed of.
I do understand that some users are proud of using a Google speaker (and mic) in their home. But is it really a good thing to have the ad ‘Ok Google, turn on the AC’ on the homepage of Home Assistant? I doubt.

2 Likes

Lol. Just the example that came to mind. :slight_smile:
As I edited above, 383 out of 935 integrations are cloud, according to their iot class.

Yeah I think most of us agree that information from the web is useful, I don’t think I could run a weather prediction supercomputer locally, even if I had the computer you still need data. But that doesn’t justify my lights not working when a cloud provider gives up the ghost, or can’t keep its servers up.

1 Like

I think there is an important distinction to be made in cloud intergations i.e. between the likes of weather services (where you are giving away only very limited personal information) and other services where your data must be surrendered to the cloud before it can then be accessed. With the former you could even change your lattitude/longitude coordinates slightly to improve privicay while still obtaining the same weather infromation.

Of the 383 cloud integrations would you happen to known what proporation are cloud polling verses cloud push?

Oh, definitely. No question cloud is evil as far as home automation goes.
Internet down? Screwed. API deprecated? Screwed. Vendor deciding to charge for API? Screwed.

Which leads back to my very first comment: DON’T buy cloud-enabled devices…

3 Likes

284 poll vs. 99 push.
But that doesn’t really matter. As soon as you go to cloud either way, you’re leaking private information.

I feel sorry for 2 groups of people:

1. Those who bought a whole lot of cloud devices because smart homes were cool. Eventually quite a few realise they are not all they were cracked up to be and are stuck in a sunk cost situation with an inferior solution. They simply made a decision that in hindsight they regret.

2. Those who bought something like Tuya in the promise of future local control.

3 Likes