Display remaining time estimation?

Hey Everyone!

I have an energy-sensing smart plug connected to my dishwasher which I use to determine if it is running and then display the status (off, washing, drying). 99% of the time we use the same wash cycle options, therefore we should be able to guess how much time is left for the wash and what time it should complete.

What are some ways to track and display the estimated remaining time (minutes remaining, estimated completion actual time) based on the cycle start time vs. expected cycle duration?

Hopefully this is easier than I think it is. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks in advance!

One would be a timer that would auto start when the plug saw an increase in power draw.
You could then update the timer when drying was sensed.

First you need to graph out the entire wash cycle and measure (or calculate) the time each portion takes. Also note the amperage or wattage that is specific to each cycle and the longest time at each amperage level; this way you can confidently state when it has completed an cycle.

I used a variety of formats for my ‘till complete’ things. Such as stating the completion time of 09:13 or 1 hour and 18 mins till complete.

1 Like

I do exactly what @GlennHA is suggesting, and then use Timer Bar Card to show a countdown to when the timer is finished. It works well, and was very easy to set up.

This looks like a good solution!

I’ve added the custom card in HACS and restarted, but it gives an error whenever I try to use it:

This is a copy/paste from the docs examples with my entity name put in there. (This is actually my first custome card using HACS, so there is a good chance I missed a setup step.) What could be the issue?

Thanks again for your help!!

Googling “home assistant custom element doesn’t exist” gives a couple of possibilities, here and Custom lovelace cards do not work - "Custom element doesn't exist". The second one is easier to look at than the first, but they both suggest different possible problems. Personally I’ve not had that error.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks! Oddly enough, I restarted HA twice yesterday to hopefully fix the card error, but I installed the 2022.6.1 update and now it works.

Thanks again for your help!!