Display text from google docs or sheets

Is there a quick and easy way to display a list, either from google docs or google sheets? My goal is to display our upcoming menu. My wife takes pride in having a weekly menu for my family. She used to write this on a small note pad and pinned it on our family bulletin board. She has now switched to an app called “whisk”. While she likes it, I am normally the one that cooks and also I am home with the kids after school and am the go to for “what’s for dinner”? The bulletin was really easy for me.

My goal is to put in in manually in a google sheet or doc, and have it displayed on my dashboard in the hall for the kids to read. An extra cool thing would be if I could have Alexa somehow read the first line, and have her respond with it if I say “Alexa, what’s for dinner?” Even more useful would be if I could have first line be “what’s for dinner”, and second line be “What’s for dinner tomorrow?”.

Sorry about the long post.
Thanks. Also posting on the Facebook forum

I think some folks have found ways to read in Google Sheet using a hard link to the sheet. I think you have to ‘share’ the Google Sheet in a way that allows this URL to be visible. And while I think this is not a real security concern, your family menu, however anyone with this cryptic URL has at least read only access to the Google Sheet. Have a look at these posts linked below, other than that a much more techie way and secure way would be to create a AppDaemon or similar external python app that would create a ‘sensor’ in your Home Assistant system with the selected part of the Google Sheet. The reason that this way requires more python technical knowledge, is that they needed Python libraries to access Google Sheets and Documents are not included with in the core Home Assistant, and will probably never be, the full function of securely access Google Docs and Sheets is a fairly ‘heavy’ thing.

Good hunting and ‘eating’!

1 Like

I ended up just adding a daily event in my google calendar, since I already have a calendar in list view on my dashboard.