Distance learning alerts with Google Calendar & Alexa

I have 2 kids, 3rd grade and Kindergarten, doing distance learning this year. The kindergartener especially is too young to read, so I need to keep him on task.

Using a the Google Calendar integration, and Alexa Media Player installed via HACS, I’ve got it set up so that I can manage their schedules on two independent Google calendars, put the Zoom links they need to connect in the Location field, and type what I want Alexa to say to them in the Notes field. Then they get the announcement, go to the Calendar app on their iPad, and log into their meeting.

It’s replaced a hodgepodge of manually setup reminders in the Alexa app that I could never keep square with the actual schedule, and made quarantine soooo much easier to manage.

I wrote it all up in a blog post: https://www.davidboike.dev/2020/12/distance-learning-alerts-with-google-calendar-alexa-home-assistant/

This is similar to Kids distance learning school scheduled in Google calendar TTS announce events to Alexa and Google but doesn’t require Node-RED.

2 Likes