DIY Command center console / remote

I’m planning on doing a “command console” where I would have a 3D printed enclosure with buttons and LEDs that show the status of things, and allow them to be switched, toggled, adjusted etc.

Has anybody made something like this that I could get some inspiration? I’d be intrested in programming side of things more, as I’m not expirienced with it yet.

I’m planning on using ESP8266-12E Serial to parallel shift registers for diodes, maybe MUX / ADC for dimming potentiometers and if not enough GPIO, parallel to serial shift registers for buttons. With battery backup for short remote operations (TP4056) with battery led indicator and maybe notification about low battery.

I habe done something similar, see here:

with recycled notebook batteries (4x 18650), a cheap chinese Micro USB to 18650 charger/BMS board (your TP4056) and a step up converter to 5V this thing is fully autonomous.
I would recommend using ESPHome and an ESP32. You have a ton of modules that already do what you would like.
It also supports port extenders, but frankly I have not looked into that too much yet.

When it came to design, I went for “60th-80th” scifi tech, since it tends to be quite bulky, I already had switches and stuff laying around and the overall style is 3d printer friendly. Plus, in your case, the 7 segment display controllers supported by ESPHome fit into the style ;-).