DIY Heating and Hot Water Controller

Hi @kwirk,

Thanks for this really detailed sharing.
For my need, i no need thermostat. I just need temperature setting point.
I tried to break the “Generic Thermostat” to answer my needs but it appears that I failed.
in here my post on my needs: Generic Temperature setting point · home-assistant/frontend · Discussion #17028 · GitHub
On thing I don’t like is that Generic Thermostat doesn’t have persistent data on hvac_mode and the temperature setting point. I even don’t know if it’s a feature in HA.
It means that on HA restart, your setpoint and your hvac mode is back to initial values in your config file.

1 Like

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I am so glad that I have stumbled accross as it seems to cover exactly what I am looking to do.

I currently have a Y Plan system.

The heating is set to constantly on and this is connected to a digital thermostat in my hallway. All the scheduling is done via the thermostat.

The hot water is set to come on once in the morning and once in the evening but we find it really difficult to find a schedule that constantly works - we always seem to be running out of water.

My main goal is to somehow add a temperature sensor to the hot water tank and then have HA turn on the water earlier than its usual schedule if it senses that it has less hot water in it than usual.

One other thing I would say is that I am looking to move house in the next 18 months or so, so I am wary that I should be able to replace the timer and thermostat easily when needed.

Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated - I note that the SONOFF CH4 PRO seems to be a good place to start.

This is similar to what I currently have.

A Nest thermostat for controlling/scheduleing the heating and then a Shelly 1PM with temperature probe to measure the temperature on the hot water tank. The hot water is turned on/off via an automation when it goes below or above a set temperature via a SONOFF 4CHPROR3.

If and when I get time I would like to replace the Nest with more complex automations with room temperature sensors (I currently have Z-wave TVRs in the rooms); plus replace the Shelly with the temperature probe directly with the SONOFF 4CHPROR3.