DIY Motorized WiFi IKEA Roller blinds to HA?

I´ve these DIY roller blinds, could anyone advice how to add this to HA?

Step 10 and 11 from here

1 Like

Once setup you can use the MQTT Cover component in home assistant to control the blinds.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but did you get this to work? i’m looking to build this to

Sorry, not yet. It´s been too long in my TO-DO list :slight_smile:
Having one set build, but thats all.

If you folks stall long enough, you won’t have to DIY: https://www.cnet.com/news/ikea-smart-blinds-confirmed-and-theyre-coming-to-the-us/

Looks nice, and would be great if it could lower the prices to something acceptable, but honestly, i think a DIY approach would still be better than than tradfri.
my experience with zigbee and tradfri is to keep far away as there is no real standard used, needing multiple controllers for the same protocol is just plain wierd.

I don’t expect that they’ll be as sleek as lutron Serena or anything, but I am hopeful that they’ll provide a simple but clean and inexpensive smart blind. Even DIY gets pretty expensive!

I made these roller blinds and they physically work well except I can’t figure out the topics to use to get them working with HA. Does anyone have any ideas? The updated code for the blinds can be found here

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lua code is completely foreign to me- is it supposed to be publishing MQTT messages? If so, just use an MQTT tool (I like MQTTBox) and subscribe to topic #. This way you’ll see every MQTT message on your network.

What processor is on the blinds’ controller board? Do you have a schematic? Does it have an IP address? I use Advanced IP Scanner (http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/). If the controller has shared folders, FTP or HTTP access, you’ll see it there.

I have used mqttfx to look at the topics the esp8266 is publishing to the broker. All I can see are two topics

/house/room/rollerblind_window/0/status

/house/room/rollerblind_window/0/hearbeat

In the config.lua and mq.lua there are lines referring to the /set command but I can’t seem to get that to work. Here is my cover.yaml mqtt config for this device.

platform: mqtt
name: “Balcony Door Blind”
command_topic: “/house/room/rollerblind_window/set”
state_topic: “/house/room/rollerblind_window/state”
qos: 0
retain: true
payload_open: “0”
payload_close: “2”
payload_stop: “0”
set_position_template: ‘’
value_template: ‘{{ value.x }}’

I have been playing around with the payloads to get something to work.

For anyone interested, I got this to work. I really like this DIY project. My only issue is that the blind moves quite slow but here is the config:

platform: mqtt
name: “Balcony Door Blind”
command_topic: “/house/room/rollerblind_window/0/set”
state_topic: “/house/room/rollerblind_window/0/status”
position_topic: “/house/room/rollerblind_window/0/status”
qos: 0
retain: true
payload_open: “100”
payload_close: “0”
set_position_topic: “/house/room/rollerblind_window/0/set”

1 Like

How wide blinds you are using? IKEA blinds?
Running it with 9 volts?

I really should continue with mine :slight_smile:

Yes I use 9v, but I also constructed the modified set up found here, you can also find more info on this particular set up in the posts of the original Instructable.

I’ve had this running for quite a while now and it works well. Ikea are also about to release their own smart blinds so this will become obsolete! But it’s a fun DIY!

1 Like

Yeah, IKEA will release owns, but 100€+ vs. 10€ DIY :slight_smile: