DIY PetKit feeder local integration to Home Assistant via ESPHome

Removed all custom wiring, plugging it in now gives a steady light, but nothing happens (WiFi configuration, manual feeder both not working). So I guess I have shorted it somewhere or bricked the board.

Any chance these boards can be ordered somewhere? :grinning:

Hey or someone else, I wanted to buy a petlibro, it does have an camera, anyone knows if it exposes an rtsp feed??

I’m here fighting a bit with this cat feeder and it’s ESPHome code.
I bought this one dumb feeder:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0C2TXSCBK
Which I’d love to make it a bit smarter in HA.

I would like to have the ability to press a button in HA and feed one portion, as well, read and store an event in HA when the motor turned, and for how long.
I was hoping to use this great project with small adaptations to my end. I’d like to use this as a “spy board”, this means all the original functions are kept.

First barrier would be, I’m not a programmer.
I’m doing one change at a time and testing in between because I can more or less understand if I read code…

I already changed some stuff, but I think I have to change my approach.
After some multimeter searching, I can’t use the manual feed button on the unit because:

1. It’s in the PCB
  2. It just sends a 10kOhm resistance and other chip will see it as a sign to manual feed.

After looking into some components, I found the step motor driver.
I receives 2,72V has a start signal, and it sends 4V to the motor to make it turn.
I was wondering, how can I use this to my benefit?

I’m using an 8266 NodemcuV2, so my first question.
How can I put a voltage in the driver pin with the esp pin D1 (for example)?
Question two, can the esp read on another pin (D2 for example) that the driver is sending 4V to the motor?

What would be the code for this?

Hi, can you share a photo of your main board? I’m curious what it looks like overall.
In general, I think it will be much easier to bypass btn than to develop a way to control the motor driver from ESPHome.

Hello Andrey
Thank you for chime in
photo back

Photo front

My idea matured a bit
In the end, I want to

1. know when and for how long did the motor turned, and
  2. I want to be able to press an HA button and turn the motor for a portion. (or via an HA automation)

Read a voltage (the one that makes the motor turn) should be enough to know .1
What I’m not sure how to do, is how to make the esp command the driver…

I even already remembered to buy this Amazon link which is the same driver
, and connect the motor ALSO to this one, controlling it paralelly.
Not sure yet if the esp can control this one.

I think you loaded 2 identical photos :slight_smile:

Well, I wish you good luck then)
If you could use a standard button, I think you could read input signals from the stepper driver and check for how long it was active.

Otherwise, if you want to control motor by yourself - you can check this documentation: Stepper Component — ESPHome
But you need to use or A4988 or ULN2003 driver.

I would appreciate if you would keep us updated :slight_smile:

Also check this post: ESPHome - 28BYJ-48 motors with A4988 driver (Working Solution) - #9 by fourtrax011

Well, after 1 week research I don’t have the expertise enough for this project. I couldn’t find enough resources I could stich together to go further on this project.

I got the motor directly fed by the 5V input, And I set a shelly plug feeding the feeder.

I created an automation to control the plug.

Why not just use tuya local integration?

the one I have is not tuya compatible. Also, I tend to run away from cloud and ZB

Ah, I saw on GitHub that honeyguardian worked on Tuya app? What app do you need to use then?

no app, it has only a front panel where u can schedule the feeding

Ah ok, makes sense

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0C2TXSCBK

this is it. sorry the highjack, but someone knows over a smart double bowl?

I bought this one, 105€ on Ali, double bowl, and camera…

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004297449200.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.4443f19cZOTte5&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Im using the wide version, works very good

Maybe return yours to Amazon :slight_smile:

and get a second petkit from amazon. It’s cheaper than your ali feeder and arrives next day :grin:

What did you buy?

Ah ok, but I have 2 bowl , and a camera also

This looks like the Petkit FreshElement Solo, not the Mini. Does the hack work on this model too? It seems cheaper and easier to find than the mini. Or is that the one you had to wire to a Shelly ?