DIY physical wall light dimmer + smart dimming

Yellow,

I am having a hard time googling what would be the design of a DIY solution for light dimming that has a physical/on the wall dimmer knob and also works with dimming from HA, without storing state on the knob level.

I guess this would be straight forward if the dimming knob stores “state” and connects to HA with WiFI/Zigbee etc.

But I’m thinking about an “infinite” rotating wheel on the wall that just sends the movement information to HA/a central system (that stores state) and based on +/- rotation it dims on or off. This would obviously also work from a phone.

This kind of design makes sense to me but I just don’t know what to Google to find some video or tutorial of someone doing this.

(my issue is not related to a PWM board that would power LEDs, but rather the control side of things, where the physical dimmer should be “digital”, just like a digital push button, that is, not store state, but just communicate rotation direction to a state-storing system),

A rotary encoder is what you need.
Then when it rotates right run a script “brightness up”.

The script takes atate_attribute(‘light.somelight’,‘brightness’) +10)

That way it will not store a state, it will be based on the current light level

1 Like

Care to point me some rotary encoder products that are mounted on the wall like a regular switch?

I haven’t found many, except for the zigbee/etc/smart ones.

Thanks.

Just buy one component rotary encoder and a blank faceplate to the wall.
That is your start, add a voltage regulator and an ESP and your pretty much done.

Just keep in mind you need some extra enclosure between the mains wires and the components, so gluing a box on the back of the blank faceplate is probably a good solution.

But a rotary encoder for DIY purpose that has a ready made “shell”, I don’t think that exist.
Perhaps if you buy a non smart dimmer and strip out all the stuff you don’t need.
Just make sure it has a rotary encoder inside.

1 Like

And what do you think about this design where automation is completely wired:

• have rotary incremental encoders on wall for light dimming
  • use one ESP32 board per room/floor (whichever makes sense) and “read” the rotary physical rotation from ESP32
  • use @pilotak’s Ethernet IO board with that ESP32 to control light switches, read temperature sensor, control blinds etc. etc.
  • connect all ESP32+ethernet boards to an ethernet switches and to the HA server

And the system should be designed to work with physical in-room controls even if HA server is down.
While controlling stuff from your phone will need the HA server up.

What do y’all think? Pitfalls? Improvements?

Thank you.

Don’t know.
I have no experience of that device.

But given that you only need two pins for a typical rotary encoder a ESP32 is probably overkill, 8266 is probably enough. (Unless you want to use the devices for room presence also)

But perhaps I have misunderstood the concept of that device and it needs a 32.

Have you considered using remote dimmers and control light with them? for example ikea symfonisk sound remote

ESP32 is not needed, indeed, it just the newer and more powerful model. I think ESP8266 and ESP32 price is about the same. And since it controls lots of things, extra CPU power would be useful for future extensions.

Just trying to go wired and have a DIY setup.

I did a hybrid. I have wired control of on/off and optional dimming with mentioned zigbee dimmer.

For wired I’m using shellies (relays/dimmers behind physical switches or rgbw2 modules in led light appliances).

And here is how it looks like

1 Like

Mabye this?

I use it for volume control but can also be a dimmer.