Ethernet IO board

For many people finding a right board to start home automation is not easy. That’s why i created an open source board with 16x inputs (ie.: for wall switches) and 18x outputs for relays (ie.: bulbs) plus you can have up to 4 connected utility meters (ie.: power consumption) all powered by ESPHome or Tasmota for easy hacking. You can choose between ethernet connectivity or WiFi thanks to ESP32.

And you if 16x inputs/outputs are not enough, you can extend it with same board (useful if you ordering PCBs where you usually get 5 copies)

16 Likes

Great work. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

Going to order some PCBs and give it a go.

Thanks once again for taking the time to share this project.

1 Like

Very good job, I was also looking for a board to connect sensors and relays by cable and simple to manufacture.

I am a new user in HA and with little knowledge of code and electronics, I would ask if you can share more information to buy the components and make some boards.

Very grateful for your input

I don’t want to underestimate you, but if you are new to electronics, be prepared for hard time when soldering SMD components. Coding is easy (if you use ESPHome or Tasmota) - just flash ESP32 over USB and you are done.

I buy components all the around the world - Mouser, TME, Farnell, RS Components, Aliexpress - it depends. Board are ususally manufactured by Elecrow or JLCPCB

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Solder SMD I have no fear, patience and pulse.
I have doubts with the ESP I do not know the difference between models, does any version work or does it have to be one in particular?
It reassures me to know that you order from the same providers as me, thank you for your support :crossed_fingers:t3:and I will keep you informed.

It has to be ESP32 with 38 pins like this one

no wroom, just ESP-32 38P
2 Likes

I have already received the PCBs and some components are on the way :clap: :clap: :clap: :raised_hands: … I just have some doubt with the order of the SMD components, the electrolytic capacitors, which part number of the manufacturer is it? or diameter?

The capacitor 100n what voltage does it require? (I have 77 options to choose and I don’t know which one)

I also have doubts with the components of the position SJ1 - SJ6 I do not understand which component should go there ??? :man_shrugging:

Finally, only if you could share a detailed photograph of the position of the components as a guide for assembly.

Thank you

perfect :ok_hand: as noted electrolytic capacitors is “Panasonic C” package (5x5.8mm)

As for 100n I use 50V rated X7R dielectric because i buy them in batch of 100 so they can be used elsewhere without thinking about voltage.

SJ is solder jumper, no components required! just a blob on tin, they are used for addressing the I/O expanders - look into datasheet “FIGURE 1-2”

I will post the assembly pictures soon :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Assembly instructions

1 Like

This guide is fantastic, good job! :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope with this I do not have mounting problems. :wink:
Thank you

Great! The I/O board works perfectly, very useful to basic implementations i.e. light switches. I’m planning to change all my ‘old’ system with HA and this I/O Board. Thank you for sharing and for your job!

2 Likes

Is there a way to get the product already assembled?
Even with my technical skills, the end result will not be a good one for me :slight_smile:

BR
Bogdan

1 Like

Unfortunately there is not. It’s very difficult to get the some parts this year due to a global shortage and i’m run out of personal stock too. Of course you can still buy them but from several suppliers resulting in multiple P&P which would increase the total cost. Not even talking about shipping time…

Pilotak Thanks for your feedback.
I still have hope that maybe some of the companies that produce and sell PCB’s, may offer also the possibility to buy the PCB already populated with all the parts.

Anyway, thanks for the info. and your hard work! :slight_smile: and good luck!
Best regards
Bogdan

Excellent project, thanks for sharing!

I assume the 4 GPIO-connected inputs support analog input, mapping something like 0 a 5V to 0 - 255 values. Is this correct?

And these 4 pins also work as outputs?

To control mains voltage the outputs will be connected to relays. Do you know some ready made or DIY din rail 230V relays supporting 10 Amps or so that can be controlled with the 3.3V and low current ESP32 pins output? I guess the relays will need some transistors for this. I haven’t found any mains power relays with this design.

S0 IN1-IN4 are only inputs as they are connected through optocoupler.

If you remove it and put a “solder bridge” you will be able to

• measure 0V-3.3V 0-4095, you are probably confised with Arduino which has 0-5V 10bit. Protection is recommended if the wires goes outside the enclosure
  • use them as output, but this is a non sense you have 18 other outputs available to use

All 18 outputs are low-side switches ready to handle up to 42V on the high side. They can safely switch any type of load: resistive, inductive and capacitive - they are protected so you can use 5V, 12V or 24V relays. Just google “DIN rail relay” you will find some chinese and of course the industrial.

With one power supply can feed the relays and also power the board.

I think you need to look into schematic which would answer your questions.

3 Likes

Oh, right. I missed the schematic. I thought you’re only using shift registers.

Nicely done. And it’s exactly what I was looking for. :+1:

What is a good method to get the pins text inscription on the plastic case?

semi-transparent printable sticker label

1 Like

@pilotak is it still the case that you aren’t selling this asssembled? I’m looking for something exactly like this, but don’t really have the time to assemble it all :confused:

Also, is there a variation where I could have a full block of only inputs? or is this the case and I read things wrong