DMX lighting

Could it be that there’s a regression in the responsiveness of the DMX Addon? It takes 2 to 3 seconds for my lights to respond to push buttons or web UI. Is there anything I can do to test this? It used to be instantaneous and there are no hardware changes (or there should be a defect I don’t know of yet). I’m on 2023.6.3 and the artnet integration version is 0.1.10. While checking the version, I saw there was an update, so I’m testing that now.

Merijn

Using artnet-direct or artnet-controller?

The former is the same code as in the old days and will transmit as soon as it receives the signal from HA.

The latter does a lot of threading and we have less control over when Python decides to schedule our code. There’s definitely some improvements to be made on that end.

I did not specify, so artnet-direct I think?

Edit: just tried specifying the node_type in the configuration file, but still the same issue (with both types). I had delays of over 15 seconds! KNX is also handled over the same IP network and a push on a KNX button immediately triggers actions in the UI, so I don’t think there’s much network latency.

For debugging purposes, it would be great if you could change the IP of the artnet target device you want to use. That way, you can temporarily switch to Artnetominator or another similar tool to visualize what is going on. If you do that now, you get all new entities because IP is part of the unique id for an entity. Would it be possible to add a controller_override to the configuration? Entity ids would still be based on the “normal” target id, but packets would actually be sent to the override target. This would be a great help in debugging the delays I’m seeing. Thanks for considering the option!

Kind regards,
Merijn

I went ahead and added port_override ans host_override options. PR is ready if you’d be willing to add it to production.

It helped to see that it’s not the artnet integration that generates the delays I’m trying to deal with. I’ll have to try and reboot my artnet controller and see if things get better.

Edit: rebooting the artnet controller seems to have fixed it :slight_smile:

Damn, you warned for the unique_id earlier. I’m deliberately only going to change it only once more, because it’s going to be inconvenient to migrate.

Can you maybe name (and shame) your ArtNet controller so that other people experiencing delays can find it?

Merged the PR! :slight_smile:

Sure. I’m using a Showtec Net 2/3 to control most of the lights in my house. Been running it uninterrupted for several years now without issues so I don’t really want to “shame”. It was just a very annoying hiccup.

Thanks for the merge! I understand if you only want it added until next major rework, but please always consider an easy option to debug. Got to keep the family happy :wink:

1 Like

Hi, did you ever get the moving head feature implemented? Much appreciated, and if so any specific models that have been tested?

Still working on it (slowly). I’m implementing it in a generic way so that all fixtures work, and all current architectural shortcomings are addressed.

Mainly, I’m working to just use the open-fixture-library-format, as such:

They pretty much have got their spec down, albeit a tad complicated.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m looking for some help with this using KiNET, I have the fixtures addressed and can control them through the network with another control software but I am unable to get HA to control them. Here is my config: IP Address is the address of the Data Enabler Pro that is connected to the fixtures. Thanks!

light:
- platform: artnet_led
  host: 192.168.1.239
  max_fps: 25
  refresh_every: 5
  node_type: kinet
  universes:
   1:
      send_partial_universe: True
      devices:
        # Dimmer
        - channel: 1
          name: Holiday DMX 1
          type: rgb
          transition: 0
          output_correction: linear
          channel_size: 8bit
        - channel: 4
          name: Holiday DMX 2
        - channel: 7
          name: Holiday DMX 3
        - channel: 10
          name: Holiday DMX 4

Ah we had been looking for someone to test our KiNET implementation. I’m glad you’ve arrived! :slight_smile:

What control software are you using for it? I can perhaps compare the network packets sent by it, with the one coming from the integration.

Hi, I just spotted this & it looks like an important integration. I’m also using Robert Oostenveld’s esp8266 Artnet node (normally via QLCPlus). I use these lights as my daily lights in my living room so its great to have this running on my lower power HA server (2023.7.3).
I’ve installed it via HACS and have edited configuration.yaml accordingly and just found my devices in the Entities list…and working! Excellent.
Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to be here! Color Kinetics has a software called “Quick Play Pro 2” that will control the lights for testing functions. I have captured packets from that using wire shark to compare to the integration but I was unable to capture anything coming from home assistant when set to Kinet. I can send you what was captured from Quick play if that is helpful. Thanks!

Wireshark is great for this indeed! :slight_smile:

Here’s an example of what we’re sending for KiNet, setting the first 4 channels to: [255, 128, 0, 255].

UDP payload: 04:01:dc:4a:01:00:01:01:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:ff:ff:ff:ff:04:ff:80:00:ff

Noob here…but I’ll spare you the apologies and get to the point:

I can’t get the repository into HA.

I installed the OS version of Home Assistant (I started with supervised install, but got lost in the weeds…). Running Supervisor 2023.09.2, Operating System 10.5, Frontend 20230911.0.

Anyway, the documentation on the Briena fork, same as Corb300 states:

1. Open HACS
  2. Open the options in the top right and select Custom repositories
  3. Enter this repository’s URL (https://github.com/Breina/ha-artnet-led) under the Category Integration.
  4. Press Add

That doesn’t work.

On my screen, I go to HACS (I think) with Settings/Add-Ons/Add-On Store

From there, I can open the options in the top right and select Custom repositories.

There is no option to add under an Integration category.

And when I enter “GitHub - Breina/ha-artnet-led: DMX lighting Integration for Home Assistant. Using the HA Color Mode update and Pyartnet library to control lights in multiple DMX universes over ethernet with the Art-Net protocol.” and click “Add”…I get

GitHub - Breina/ha-artnet-led: DMX lighting Integration for Home Assistant. Using the HA Color Mode update and Pyartnet library to control lights in multiple DMX universes over ethernet with the Art-Net protocol. is not a valid add-on repository”

Thoughts? I don’t know where to go from here. Not sure if it’s an issue with the GitHub repository structure…my use of the GUI instead of command line…or the OS vs supervised versions of HA…or something else I don’t even know about yet.

Yay that would be great.

Question is: Will it bring the club to my home or Home Assitant to the club? :smiley:

You should find the HACS entry in your left menu panel somewhere between History and Settings. If you don’t see it there, there’s something off with your HACS install.

Our integration is not an add-on, that’s why you are seeing what you’re seeing.

I am new here in HA, and try to use Home Assistant component for Art-Net LED (DMX) is there a way to configure a light using script in HA.

For Art-Net LED i like using Scenes and using scripts to trigger Scenes as needed.

Has anyone used this successfully with a USB to DMX dongle?

like this one Enttec Open DMX USB Interface – Thomann Österreich