DMX lighting

What do you mean?

Probably a dumb question, but on both DMX solutions here Iā€™m getting stuck at the configuration validation with the error:

ā€œPlatform error light.artnet - Integration ā€˜artnetā€™ not found.ā€

Iā€™ve copied the files into the /custom_components/light folder and have updated the configuration.yaml with the integration but I canā€™t figure out how to connect this dot.

What am I missing here?

Iā€™m using (a slightly altered version of) the integration from jnimmo and my configuration looks like this:

- platform: dmx
  host: 192.168.113.72
  #host: 192.168.113.103
  default_type: dimmer
  default_off: true
  default_level: 0
  devices:
    #SP4LED Module 1
    - channel: 1
      name: sp4led_1_dimmer
      default_level: 255
      type: fixed
    - channel: 2
      name: sp4led_1_program
      default_level: 0
    - channel: 3
      name: sp4led_1_config
      default_level: 255
    - channel: 4
      name: badkamer.hoofdlamp
    - channel: 5
      name: badkamer.spots_douche
    - channel: 6
      name: badkamer.spots_lavabo
    - channel: 7
      name: tr.hoofdlamp

I think you are using platform ā€˜artnetā€™ instead of ā€˜dmxā€™ ?

Thanks for the quick response, the artnet is for the Spaceman component, I had the same error using dmx as the platform:

#light:
#  - platform: dmx
#    host: 192.168.1.70
#    default_type: dimmer
#    devices:
#      - channel: 1
#        name: Deck Steps
#      - channel: 2
#        name: Deck Frame
light:
- platform: artnet
  host: 192.168.1.70                              # IP of Art-Net Node
  max_fps: 25                           # Max 25 packages to ArtNet Node per second
  refresh_every: 120                    # Resend values if no fades are running every x seconds, 0 disables
  universes:                            # Support for multiple universes
    2:                                  # Nr of Universe (see configuration of your Art-Net Node)
      output_correction: quadratic      # optional: output correction for the whole universe, will be used as default if nothing is set for the channel
      devices:
        # Dimmer
        - channel: 1                  # first channel of dmx dimmer
          name: my_dimmer               # name
          type: dimmer                  # type
          transition: 1                 # default duration of fades in sec
          output_correction: quadratic  # optional: quadratic, cubic or quadruple. Applys different dimming curves to the output. Default is None which means linear dimming
        # RGB
        #- channel: 129
        #  name: my_rgb_lamp
        #  type: rgb
        #  transition: 1
        # RGBW
        #- channel: 132
        #  name: my_rgbw_lamp
        #  type: rgbw
        #  transition: 1

My custom_component folder structure looks like this:

You made a subfolder ā€˜lightā€™, but I think it should be the name of the integration.

Itā€™s a little confusing because I tried both integrations at this point, but my dmx custom looks the same as yours:

the ā€œlightā€ subfolder is copied out of spacemanā€™s dmx configuration, dmx is from jnimmo.

I gave it a day off and checked my configuration and all is working now, Iā€™m not sure exactly what was missing but thanks for the confirmations!

HI All DMX connoisseurs.

I have decided to do an integration Supporting the new color mode in Home Assistant. leveraged heavily from @spaceman_spiff and @jnimmo It now supports 16 bit resolution (also supports 24 bit and 32 bit but I donā€™t know of a DMX controller that would use it) Use Brightness and RGB value separately to give more resolution to brightness to be able to make use of 16 bit resolution.

I now have my first Alpha if anyone wants to help me check it out. it works on my configuration.
you should be able to load it through HACS.

Here it is:

1 Like

Great to see DMX is still alive. Iā€™ll give it a try asap. Would you be willing to accept a PR to add a fixed value channel? It shouldnā€™t even make a light entity, just set a channel to a value forever. My dimmerpacks require such values for settings and they donā€™t work the way they should when I turn off all lights because those values return to 0 as well.

Hello @Corb3000 trying to install your plugin, but getting thit error: ā€œPlatform error light.artnet-led - Integration ā€˜artnet-ledā€™ not found.ā€

Hi @jnimmo, I tried you integration.
After configuring the lights I restart the server. No errors in the logs.
The lights are only visible in the entities section and after double click them I recieved the warning/error " [This entity does not have a unique ID" https://www.homeassistant.io/faq/unique_id/
Could you check this out?

Kindly regards
Frank

Sorry, My mistake it should be:

• platform: artnet_led

underscore not Dash.
I have updated the Read me.

@Corb3000 I gave your implementation a go and it seems to work fine.
If something strange occurs Iā€™ll let you know. Thanks for reworking this!

Have you seen this message? :slight_smile:

Has anyone done some think like dmx4 pro and ws2815 strips for house decoration lighting. I have the jnimmo/hass-dmx integration but so far I can only control one channel at a time. And setting up say X-mas lights seems like a pain. Any ideas or suggestions?

Is this the most active fork of the ArtNet project?

In that case, looks like the project needs a new maintainer.

I wrote and shared hass-dmx project for a specific installation a couple of years ago, so itā€™s had very little love since then. @spacemam_spiff and @Corb3000 have both written new integrations since then. Iā€™ve been hoping to find the time to integrate one of these projects into Home Assistant Core, but unfortunately not likely to get to the top of the priority list for a while!

Thatā€™s alright, jnimmo, weā€™ve all for things to do. :slight_smile:
Was thinking about creating the RGBWW feature myself, but I see that itā€™s already implemented in Corb3000ā€™s fork. Iā€™ll switch over to that one.

Nearly my entire house runs on DMX using 100+ channels, so I appreciate the work you guys are doing!

1 Like

Hi all,

This seems to be the most active thread to talk about DMX so I hope you donā€™t mind me hijacking it slightly?

Iā€™m UK-based, about to install a kitchen and weā€™d like to put in addressable LEDā€™s around the base of the kitchen units, the island, and the breakfast bar, as well as behind the pelmets of the blinds.

Iā€™m wondering about the best way to wire this up if Iā€™m going down the DMS route - is it to run DMX cables from a central location such as the comms cabinet out to the various led strips, to run ethernet to the various cabinet runs and have an ArtNET/sACN decoder in each of those, or something else entirely?

We basically want the ability to change colours to set the mood and if possible have the lights sync to music for parties etc.

The alternative would be for me to use WLED which is probably going to be a bit cheaper, but I donā€™t like the idea of relying on home-brew components for something this criticial!

Thanks in advance!

First of all, be mindful that per DMX universe, you have 510 possible channels. Make you donā€™t overshoot your addressable LEDs (keeping in mind that RGB is 3 channels per LED).

Many decoders Iā€™ve seen use support both ethernet and DMX cable (XLR cable), so theyā€™re interchangeable in most use cases. Iā€™d pick XLR, since theyā€™re much easier to splice, but thatā€™s up to you.