Do i need helper sensors for everything because of replacement or damage?

(german below)

Hello everyone,

It’s a bit philosophical, but is it true that you need helpers for all sensors?
I use a lot of Shelly devices and now I thought to myself, if they are defective, I would of course replace them, but then the value read out is no longer the current kWH value, but the value naturally starts at 0 with a new Shelly device.

Exactly the same with my inverter. If it were to be replaced, my entire energy dashboard would be at 0.

My thought: I create sensors for all the helpers and use the values from Shelly as the source. If a Shelly is now replaced, I can simply enter the new Shelly in the Helper.

Am I right with my theory and should I proceed in this way due to defects? Or am I making a mistake here?

regards
Daniel

============================================

Hallo zusammen,

es ist schon ein wenig philosophisch, aber ist es so, dass man für alle Sensoren Helfer benötigt?
Ich nutze sehr viele Shelly Geräte und jetzt dachte ich mir, wenn diese einmal defekt sind, dann würde ich sie natürlich erneuern, aber dann ist der ausgelesene Wert nicht mehr der aktuelle kWH Wert, sondern der Wert startet bei einem neuen Shelly Gerät natürlich bei 0.

Genau das gleiche bei meinem Wechselrichter. Sollte dieser einmal erneuert werden, wäre mein komplettes Energie-Dashboard bei 0.

Mein Gedanke: ich erstelle für alles Helfer Sensoren und nutze als Quelle halt die Werte von Shelly. Wenn jetzt ein Shelly getauscht wird, kann ich im Helfer einfach den neuen Shelly angeben.

Habe ich hier Recht mit meiner Theorie und sollte man auf Grund von Defekten so vorgehen? Oder habe ich hier einen Denkfehler?

VG
Daniel

I don’t really use the energy dashboard or track energy but when you replace the device I think if you change the new entity id’s to be the same as the old entity id’s then the old energy should just start using the new device data.

I think…

My impression is it use to work like that but no longer.

The database uses an identifier to represent the device. When you replace the defective device with a new one, the new one gets a new identifier. It’s not the same as the old identifier so the new device doesn’t inherit the old device’s history.

I’d wait for someone else to confirm/deny it because I have not tested it (because it will be cold comfort if I am right).

1 Like

Well isn’t that…silly…if true.

I think the concept of “devices” has caused way more problems than it has ever solved.