Do we really have "official ios app"?

Hey there! Would like to raise a question

ios app 2.0 is really important for a lot of users. And it has been delayed a lot. For now I see couple of issues with beta app (location, for example) and have no idea if they are going to be fixed.

Frankly speaking, I think the app is enough important to be in main devs “hands”. I think that more than one person should manage it. I did not hear anything from Robbie for a long time here, but it seems that he is active at another sources like discord. It is just frustrating when I compare how quick home assistant is growing and getting better and ios app situation. And of course official android app isn’t here too.

I heard earlier that main devs are on more important thing, but if home assistant is looking to be user friendly in 1.0 with cool UI configurations, then there should be stable app for both ios and android. I even can not say how strange it fells in 2019 to not have an app.

Am I saying something wrong? I really think that app is the most important way to interact with home assistant, so development should be taken serious too.

I would love to hear any ideas. Maybe I do not understand what is going on, but I couldn’t really find any information on that here

Have a nice day everyone

6 Likes

No answer after 10 days seems to confirm that the way how app is managed now is wrong. We do not get answers from devs and I just see more issues. Here are they, by the way:

1. App wants me to log in some times. Do not know how does that work, but sometimes I open it and see the authentication page. And if I close and open the app - it works just fine.

2. Weird answers from siri (shortcuts). I kind of can control things via siri, but I get wrong answer from her. I mean it is dirty, why should I hear “dot, service .turn_off is called” Have a look to her answer:

3. Strange interface issues. I get them on iphone 10 and 11 max pro. ios 13.2.2.
    When I toggle a switch, I get this:

1. Location bugs. 1 time per day I teleport away (as Home Assistant app thinks) from city. More info in this thread

And actually, there are a lot of comments which should be answered in that thread.

I have pretty simple state. We should know what is going on with app. It is hugely important part of Home Assistant. @robbiet480 please, comment on this.

The official app is expected this week… you’d know that if you watched the State of the Union…

And of course, you both reported your ‘bugs’ via github issues didn’t you? Otherwise the release is likely similarly flawed…

1 Like

Holey shit.

The app is developed free of charge by one person donating an enormous amount of his personal time.

Be happy you have an app at all and quit with the whining entitled attitude.

I also suggest you make it worth Robbie’s time to work on this by donating to his Pateron:

3 Likes

And that is exactly what I am talking about, it is not a thing for one person.

Have a look to the post where I say that app is the main way to interact with Home Assistant now, as Home Assistant is getting more user friendly

I totally understand that it is done by one man who is just like others on this forum. And yes, I was earlier subscribed at patreon.

And I said that this question should be considered. Again, ios app is enough important to be in main devs “hands”. Do not take my words as I am attacking anyone. Just have a look to this case from above. App should not be on shoulders of one man.

Happy to hear that.
Do you mean live stream?

So, feel free to contribute! Your post seems like you are screaming for someone to help develop this.
Also I don’t agree on the app being the main way to interact with home assistant. In my opinion a real smart home should have as little interaction with the system as possible and do all the stuff automatically in the back without you noticing it. An app should only be needed to interfere in some situations, I don’t want to get out my phone all the time to turn on a light or whatever, but that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

What makes you think the front-end or back-end devs have any experience developing iOS apps?

That’s not how this works.

It’s an open source collaborative effort. Robbie was the one that picked up the ball when the previous dev left so be thankful that he did.

2 Likes

live stream and there is a replay

I have no idea what skills have devs, obviously.
Yet, I say that this question should be considered.
Earlier I was told that main devs are on more important things like core development (I can be wrong in terms) and ios app is not so important.
Then I saw the situation with expiring beta and understood that there are a lot of people who is even more tied to app than me. That is why I think that app should not be in one hands (no matter how good they are)

Would like to make it clear. Are you saying that you know devs skills and they can not manage app development, or just asking me why I am so sure?

I am not screaming actually, it should be difficult to transfer my thoughts in this way (you do not see my face and english is not my native language)

I agree that smart home should do as much as possible without us knowing. And that is what I love in smart home. Automate as much as I can.
But when we want to interact with Home Assistant we use app, as I see that.

The thing is, probability is really small that an app developer will read your topic and think “Ah I was not aware of this need, I have the skills and will sacrifice my free time for this app”, I’m almost sure that skilled enough devs with time to spare and interest for this project would already be helping.

I also interect with my smart home from time to time on an android device (now testing the new app) over a normal weblink, so it’s not really an app, but I’m happy with this for my limited interaction with home assistant. The only thing I’m missing is my phone pushing battery level, location etc. to home assistant, but for this I currently use Tasker as a replacement until the app is able to do this.

Especially if that’s where their skillset lies they should concentrate on core development.
I could say that as the IOS app is of little concern to me they shouldn’t devote specific resources to it. Now if it was the official android app, i say throw everything at it, but that’s not how it works.

I am not saying anything like that. I am talking about the main way of interacting with Home Assistant. That mean I am talking about android app too.

And I underlined, that I understood that app is important after beta incident. I saw that a lot of people are relied on that, so wrote this post.

Before attacking, please, read what I am saying :slight_smile:

Consider how disrespectful you are being towards one of this community’s very hard working members just because you are impatient and entitled and things aren’t happening as fast as you want.

1 Like

The ‘main way’ is via a web browser. The iOS app and some of the available Android apps offer additional features (like presence detection and control of the phone’s features) but they are not required for interacting with Home Assistant.

I understand your position but, like many others have said, the apps are created and maintained by volunteers. The fact we have them at all is due to the generous contribution of their time and effort. We can offer suggestions but we are not in a position to demand them. If someone feels very strongly about it, and they have the required coding skills, they can contribute to the app’s development.

2 Likes