Do we still not have a Twitter read sensor?

I’m currently using Node-RED’s Twitter module to MQTT > HomeAssistant and apart from the Reddit module it’s my only reason I use Node-RED at all, I just find it strange that there isn’t a Twitter read sensor, say for specific accounts as opposed to a firehose. Is there a specific reason why Node-RED supports Twitter (and Reddit) but not HA?

I’ve looked into the scrape sensor but it’d need reconfiguring every time the site changes. From searching I know I’m not the only one who would use such a sensor.

1 Like

Have you found any good options? This is exactly what I’m looking for. I want a notification when a single account updates. Twitter is very frustrating. I thought that if I followed an account and turned on alerts I might get an email or an alert. That doesn’t even seem to happen. I’ve missed a ton of new posts with nothing. I use the scrape sensor so I will look into that.

EDIT: Going to try scrape plus Twitter embed feature. Maybe that can make reconfiguration less frequent.

Nope. Still using NodeRED and piping that to HA using MQTT.

1 Like

I’ve tried the Scrape integration to no avail.

I then installed Node-Red and I have zero ideas where to go?

@J.P.Goose can you message me how you setup your Twitter sensor?

I want to setup 2 for my daughters school.

• @ccrce_ns closed
  • @ccrce_ns paved

That way I know if school is closed or if it’s paved road pickup for the school bus (part of our road is gravel).

1 Like

You will be better off using the feed reader integration with RSS and https://nitter.net.

2 Likes

You’ll need to install the Twitter node : node-red-node-twitter (node) - Node-RED or use manage palette and install that way.

Then you’ll need Twitter api credentials : Getting access to the Twitter API | Docs | Twitter Developer Platform

Finally create a twitter node dragging the “twitter in” node to the sketch screen and fill in the credentials:
twitter1

I’ve no idea how experienced you are in NR so this is a quick example sketch that pipes new tweets to Pushover, personally I pipe to MQTT and then work that into Home Assistant automations. Go to the burger menu on to top right of node-red and select import and paste into the red box. Pushover will need credentials added also for this to work.

[{"id":"eb5e88bb6a375462","type":"twitter in","z":"e9ccb2f190fe1f0f","twitter":"","tags":"ccrce_ns","user":"user","name":"Twitter Test","inputs":0,"x":130,"y":100,"wires":[["8d334d7f906f64d9"]]},{"id":"8d334d7f906f64d9","type":"change","z":"e9ccb2f190fe1f0f","name":"Change","rules":[{"t":"change","p":"payload","pt":"msg","from":"^","fromt":"re","to":"","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":380,"y":80,"wires":[["74e2ef7b062380d3"]]},{"id":"74e2ef7b062380d3","type":"pushover api","z":"e9ccb2f190fe1f0f","keys":"","title":"","name":"To Pushover","x":610,"y":80,"wires":[]}]
1 Like