Dobiss lights integration

The controller can only have 1 active connection at a time I think. My dobiss2mqtt used to create a single connection and keep it open. And periodically send a request for the state expecting a single reply each time. But that made the dobiss apps malfunction as they themselves couldn’t fully interact with the controller anymore.

Ah, but I don’t have the dobiss apps, it doesn’t exist for the evolution series… Only a webserver app, that I don’t use anymore…

Can you see when you have a connection open, something without polling? Push technique instead of poll?

No. There’s no pushing as far as I know. That is what I also hoped for. Being able to just send a command to say ‘send me an event on every keypress’ and to then receive a message for every keypress. If you can figure it out that’d be great. I’d love to implement the protocol then :slight_smile:

Especially because the bus protocol dobiss uses internally is an eventbased mechanism. What they expose to the outside world is something very different it seems.

Ok, thx for feedback, maybe i can ask the guy where I received the dobiss info from, to help me started :wink:

Started my own thread about dobiss2mqtt here: Dobiss2mqtt to avoid spamming this thread. Sorry for spamming here @rmeekers :slight_smile:

just wanted to share the work I did on integrating dobiss NXT in home assistant: Dobiss NXT support

Verry Nice!!

@kester, here you go
should be nice if this could be a custom component, instead of template stuff
i am not a coder at all, just a good googler :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have a Dobiss Ambience PRO system, and started writing a custom component years ago. I uploaded what I had here: https://github.com/OpenJeDi/HomeAssistantFiles/tree/master/custom_components/dobiss

It used to work nicely, but for some reason it behaves unreliable in recent Home Assistant (hassio) versions.

Maybe the code is useful for someone. If there is a lot of interest I will work on it some more when I find some free time. But because polling too fast can crash the Dobiss controller I am more interested in the direct CAN solution being worked on here: Dobiss2mqtt

Kind regards,
Jeroen

1 Like

Oh, nice!! Why didn’t you tell before about that custom :slight_smile:
Seems link is dead…

I am using canbus too, it’s instant!!
Allthough, looking for someone to help ,with coding on a canable.io device instead if the esp module…

I have polling on 5 sec with the code, never had issues with it

Apparently the repository was private. I changed it to public. Please note that this was more of a backup repository for my config files (which I never used), so don’t expect nice documentation or anything like that.

I just thought I was the only fool wanting to integrate Dobiss into HA :slight_smile:

Some things I never got around implementing:

• smarter polling mechanism so we can poll a module once instead of every time one of its outputs are polled
  • Automatic discovery of the Dobiss installation. I have some working C++ code available for that if anyone is interested (I started a Qt C++ application before I even heard of Home Assistant, more than five years ago)

Indeed, I used five seconds as well without issues.

Problem is that if we want to actually use Dobiss switches to control stuff, it has to be less than a second. And that makes the Dobiss system unstable.

That’s why I stopped trying because I didn’t find the time to optimise the polling system (smarter management of which modules needs to be polled, queueing the requests and then actual polling in a separate thread).

But the CAN method sounds like the perfect way to do it. I don’t have a lot of experience with electronics hardware, but I am an experienced (C++) developer. So after ordering all hardware I found in this thread, I will order the canable.io device as well. That together with the info in this thread should get me started.

I am more than willing to help with coding. I don’t have a lot of free time at the moment though: I need to finish my attic so my almost-one-year son can have his own room :slight_smile:

Perfect , order it on Ali, much cheaper

Too late :slight_smile:

Perfect, faster delivery then :slight_smile:

If you have a look at the code: use the develop branch instead of master. The develop branch contains the code to create this into a proper integration. It doesn’t work correctly on my setup, but I am going to have a look at it tonight.

What i was thinking about was using an esp and emulating the nxt code
That way we can use the same api as dosiss.
so that way the ‘official’ add-on can be used.

options are c++ or micropython
esp’s can be programmed like an arduino

als je er de evolution code inzet wil ik wel eens testen? :slight_smile: de hex code die ik moet sturen is iets anders
PS: ondersteun je ook dimmers?

Ik heb zelf een Ambiance PRO, en heb het ook niet echt voorzien om verschillende systemen te ondersteunen. Ik zal eens zien hoeveel werk dat is.

Vind ik ergens de verschillen? Ik heb indertijd van Dobiss alleen de technische documentatie van de Ambiance PRO gekregen.