Docker ghcr

I want to know the different from latest to stable image for docker, there is no documentation on this.

ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:latest
ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable

Can anyone point me to the documentation that explain the difference here?

The official documents show :stable
Where did you see the :latest tag?

It have always been latest, i know the stable tag was introduced when ghcr was put in use some years ago.

I remember the difference in this two was how major version was handled,
but that is why i ask for the documentation of this.

Interesting, I have always used stable for home assistant even when I was originally running on dockerhub. But I am using latest for other containers, didnā€™t actually notice until I looked closer after seeing your post.

latest is the most recent build. That may be stable, it may be beta, itā€™ll probably be dev.

stable is the most recent stable build.

It was introduced a long time before that.

1 Like

This is not correct, latest do NOT INCLUDE beta or dev builds.

From one of the core team:

The official goal behind latest is ā€œlatest buildā€, which we build every night, which isnā€™t stable.

Yeah its the goal, apparantly there are still some work before it ends up there.

As i said early latest do NOT include daily build, dev or beta, but it seems the ā€œgoalā€ might be reached in the future, so perhaps i should change to stable.

The official documents indicate :stable should be used.

The official documentation donā€™t tell the difference, so itā€™s impossible to make any decision based on that.

This enough for me.

1 Like

The official documentation says use stable

They donā€™t have to explain the difference in the tags. Thereā€™s no need to. They tell you what you should be usingā€¦

1 Like

So you blindly follow what you are told? I am not, i need a explanation becouse there are differences.

If you dont have anything to contribute with here please leave

If they left would they be blindly following what they were told?:thinking:

2 Likes

But it seems they did come, as someone had walked that path before, as they where told :laughing:

stable or a version number is what the docs tell you to use, and are the ones you should use. They donā€™t explain latest because at no point in the docs is that mentioned.

TL/DR: latest isnā€™t documented at all and thatā€™s deliberate

So in pr 2019 docs the recommended tag was latest!

Using web archive i found that the recommendation of using latest was there. So it was documented as i told.

When was the latest switched to stable and why did this happen?

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

All I know for certain is that when I changed my stack from dockerhub to ghcr (github) I also changed latest to stable as per the documentation I found.

1 Like

I have been researching this issue, as I prepare to move from a ā€˜Coreā€™ to a ā€˜Containerā€™ (Docker) install. This is the only thread I have found so far actually discussing the issue: ā€œWhat is considered ā€˜stableā€™?ā€.

I even searched the Docker Hub, but could not seem to connect the stable tag with a version number. There are hashes, but I didnā€™t dig any deeper into that.

In my mind at least, I suppose I am thinking the final release from the prior month. Which should contain relevant breaking/bug/security fixes, etc., without including the latest (bleeding edge) features (which might be introducing new problems), and so by now be pretty ā€˜stableā€™ for most users. But I was wondering what the devs considered ā€˜stableā€™, and what gets tagged as ā€˜stableā€™ Docker image. I suppose it is situational and varies over time (but thatā€™s speculation on my part).

Having said that, what the devs consider ā€˜stableā€™ for most of users might not be what is stable for me, you, or anyone else. So I guess, without any definitive answer, I will specify whatever particular version tag (e.g., 2023.11), which I consider stable for me.

I suppose I view this as akin to keeping some specific Debian version in /etc/apt/sources.list (e.g., bookworm as opposed to stable). Which I also do, and for exactly same reasons (I donā€™t want any ā€˜surpriseā€™ upgrades or breakage, when I donā€™t have time to deal with it).

To give more perspective, I am generally a Debian Stable (sometimes Testing) user, as I find this the only sane way to maintain a complex system that needs to keep running every day. When upgrade time comes, I read all the docs and release notes (this can take me a month or more, as ā€˜free timeā€™ is limited). I take copious notes, and then further research specific questions I may have (as I am doing here). Only when I am satisfied I understand enough of implications, I finally make backups and proceed with the planned upgrade.

I sympathize with regular forum users who field the same questions over and over, very often from people who donā€™t even bother reading docs, searching forums, etc. before asking questions. In which case the typical ā€˜RTFMā€™ response is warranted. But some times, there are a few of us out here who actually already did all those things, and are looking for some deeper insights perhaps, and that is what I see this topic as being about.

If anything, I think the topic should be edited to more accurately reflect the content, for example maybe the question I posed in first paragraph. But I will leave that decision to the mods (I did find the thread after all, searching for ā€˜docker stableā€™, although it was quite far down).

1 Like