Docker Hub pull limit on fresh install

As far as I am aware I have nothing on my IP using docker hub. I need to reinstall HA on my RPi, but using the downloaded image the install is hanging on the preparation page with "
homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant:2021.6.6: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.41/images/create?tag=2021.6.6&fromImage=homeassistant%2Fraspberrypi3-64-homeassistant: Internal Server Error (“toomanyrequests: You have reached your pull rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading: https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limit”)
"

Given that HA is still installing, I have no way to get to the supervisor or (I think) the CLI to enter docker hub credentials (per Docker Hub Rate Limit - Home Assistant) .

How many images is the install expecting to pull? If I just leave it running for 6+ hours can I expect the limit to clear and the install to proceed?
Thanks

Not directly answering your question, but more and more projects are moving to GitHub container registry. I know for Home Assistant Container, you can pull from here, so I’d assume Home Assistant Operating System would do the same. Maybe there’s a config for it somewhere?
I use this image in my Docker setup. The link was in the release notes a few versions back.
image: ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable

Any idea why?

From what I heard, Docker Hub is getting a lot more restrictive if you don’t pay for service. Basically the same reason you’re having issue I guess. Could be wrong, but that’s my impression from reading a few recent posts and forums.

1 Like

Docker hub has imposed this download rate limit - I know it hit some of the dev teams at work. If there’s another container repo that isn’t doing that then it seems like it would work better for the Home Assistant installs.

My install seems to have gone through OK now, but waiting 6 hours for an install is not a great user experience.

1 Like

I thought Docker Hub had exceptions for open source software. (bolding mine)

Can Docker Hub be used for free for open source projects?

Docker is a proud open source software company, and provides qualifying OSS software projects with access to Docker Hub with unlimited public repositories unlimited consumption of OSS project container images and unlimited collaborators at no cost. For questions about open source projects and pricing please visit the Open Source Community Application.