[Docker Image] s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening

When I build a derivative Docker image ‘FROM homeassistant/home-assistant:0.108.0’ it fails to run. This also happened to me with v0.107.7. Everything works fine in v0.106.2.

I tried to file a defect against Hass.io, but I was told that was I was doing was not Hass.io.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Is there an official place to file a defect against the Home Assistant Docker images?

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing…
starting version 3.2.9
[15:46:02] INFO: Update udev information
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
2020-04-08 15:46:04 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Config directory: /config
2020-04-08 15:46:04 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.config] Upgrading configuration directory from 0.7.7 to 0.108.0
Testing configuration at /config
2020-04-08 15:46:05 INFO (SyncWorker_4) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded homeassistant from homeassistant.components.homeassistant

2020-04-08 15:46:05 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up logger
[cmd] python exited 0
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts…
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

Would help if you posted your Dockerfile and run command.

(Note I haven’t pushed the 0.108.0 update to the Dockerfile, yet)

I build my derivative image with the following command (https://github.com/rwlove/homeassistant/blob/45088ea4d123fd13ff6ef5c170344b3349ab6426/build.sh):

docker build $* -t services/homeassistant:v${HASS_VERSION} .

I test my build/image with the following command (https://github.com/rwlove/homeassistant/blob/45088ea4d123fd13ff6ef5c170344b3349ab6426/build.sh), this is what fails:

docker run --rm services/homeassistant:v${HASS_VERSION} python -m homeassistant --script check_config --config /config

Note that I do some funky stuff with the container networking, but I don’t think that’s coming into play with the above ‘docker run’ command.

1 Like

Probably because you are overriding CMD, which you can’t do anymore. The base image now uses ENTRYPOINT.

This was my problem. Thanks, @freshcoast!

I have difficulties updating from 107.0 to 108.3 (actually I have been trying since 107.x without success).

I am using the addon to check the home assistant config and I also receive this error. I will try to update without my config, but I still have no clue why I can’t upgrade. Especially since there shouldn’t be any breaking changes from 107.0 to 107.x.

Log:

[16:24:04] INFO: Setup udev devices
[16:24:05] INFO: Don't worry, this temporary installation is not overwriting your current one.
[16:24:05] INFO: Installing Home Assistant: latest...
[16:24:05] INFO: Please be patient, this might take a few minutes...
[16:26:14] INFO: Installed Home Assistant 0.108.3
[16:26:14] INFO: Making a copy of your configuration for checking...
[16:34:36] INFO: Checking your configuration against this version...
[16:41:25] INFO: Configuration check finished - no error found! :)
s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
1 Like

I got the same error “s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening”
updated to “HassOS 3.12” tested again and it worked .
after that I dared to push update and it got though

Are you creating a derivative container that overrides the CMD directive? If so, I had to convert my container to override the ENTRYPOINT directive.

Hello,
I have the same issue s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening

But I have the official hassio image for RPI3

What could be wrong ?

1 Like

I too am getting the error below when using the Check configuration addin via the supervisor while running the official hassio version.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the references to CMD or Entry point in the discussion above are talking about.

Is the problem with hassio, the official check config addin, or has something freaky gone wrong with my install?

Can someone please point me in the right direction to understand the discussion about CMD etc that help me fix things?

1 Like

I would help you but I don’t find the answer about that :sob:

Well, I just installed a brand new and fresh install of HA from the official image (deignated to be installed on Intel NUC). Installation went fine. Then I went to Supervisor/restart host, and bum - after NUC restart i got this in logs - HA is not availiable… I didn’t change anything in configuration - just restarted it just after was installed… So what is wrong ? At this point I have to put everything on hold - it is pointless to make a configuretion, when it will be not possible to restart …

Hi, I also installed home assistant supervised on my nuc recently and I have not managed to get past the initial installation process

marc@marc-NUC8i5BEH:~$ sudo ha core logs
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 
[17:51:40] INFO: Update udev information
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
Unable to find configuration. Creating default one in /config
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 

I’m stuck and I’m really new to containers. Could anybody help me please?

thanks

I have the same problem after downgrading Docker.

Also getting this error. Fresh image onto a synology intel based NAS via Docker. Cant get past startup.

I run home assistant on Linux Mint. Had the same problem. I found somewhere that some guy wrote that disabling ipv6 solved his problem. I don’t use ipv6 so I disabled it in grub, update-grub, reboot and volla. No more errors.
Tailscale didnt work, there was always some connection errors in log but I couldn’t find the problem. Disabling ipv6 resolved all issues for now.