Docker: Restoring Backup does not work

I had an installation of Home Assistant via Docker on a Raspberry Pi 5, controlling smart plugs and ESPhome devices.
I then wanted to switch from the Raspberry Pi to a Ubuntu PC that is always running anway. So I installed it just as on the Raspberry via Docker.

However when I wanted to restore the backup I made with the Raspberry, there was no “restore backup” function when starting Home Assistant the first time as shown in many videos and tutorials. It seems like that function is only in the main software, not the Docker version :frowning:
I searched the forum here and found some work arounds. I tried those things, that unfortunately did not work:

1. Stopping the docker container via portainer, deleting everything out of the config folder and copying the files from the homeassistant.tar.gz from the backup
    → When starting it again, no devices are there

2. Stopping the docker container via portainer, change the volume to another config folder (“config2”) that contain the backup files
    → When starting it again, no devices are there

3. Doing the same as in step 2 but change the permissions via the context menu to “edit by everyone”
    → same issue

further info: the home-assistant_v2.db and home-assistant_v2.db-wal were not copied since that was recommended here in the forum

Is there any way I can restore my backup or do I really have to setup everything from the start?

Are you sure you copied the hidden files and folders too ?

1 Like

Did you try the actual doc?

1 Like

I am not sure if I did, but I followed the guide by koying and the same issue appears

Unfortunately not, but I just did now.
Via Portainer, I Recreated Home Assistant
Then I stopped the container
Used the fully unzipped backup file and executed the command provided on the site
Checked if the files were copied (they were)
Restarted the container
Same issue: An account needs to be created and HA is fully empty

Not sure what you mean. Just replace <backup_tar_file> by the tar file that is your backup, not unzipped.
Whatever the method, you need to have, e.g, configuration.yaml in whatever folder/volume you are mounting as /config in the container.

How did you do that exactly, if you are managing HA through portainer rather than CLI (sorry if this question seems obvious to you, but portainer users tend to not understand much of what they are doing :wink: )

1 Like

I have attatched pictures of

• The command I have executed
  • The path to the config folder in portainer
  • And the folder content of /opt/homeassistant/config2 after stopping the container, deleting all the content and executing the unzipping command (just before starting the container again)

I am definitely one of them :smiley: I was very happy when everything was setup on my Raspberry, hope it will be running soon on my new PC and I wont have to touch it again

Edit: Pictures are here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet I cant include them in the post as a new user

The “path in container” must be /config

1 Like

I actually just found in Settings > System > Repairs. System information.
That it did not use /config2 but /config
I changed it in portainer and executed the command again and it WORKED! :slight_smile:
All the deviced are in. Although the ESPhome devices are not controllable right now. I think it might be because of the new home assistant using another IP