Docker set to --network=host

I want to use the “Bluetooth Tracker” to detect the presence of devices in the house.

However it doesn’t work in Docker on a Mac. I assume that it is because I did not set the network to host. (–network=host)

How can I do this after I setup Docker?

This is what I used to setup the Docker:
docker run --init -d --restart=unless-stopped --name="home-assistant" -e "TZ=Europe/Zurich" -v /Users/server/Home:/config -p 8123:8123 homeassistant/home-assistant:latest

Thanks

From what I understand, there is no host networking in docker on osx.

So if I want to use the full functionality, do I have to use VirtualBox for that?

Not sure. I ended up not going down that road and instead use a Linux box.

I don’t have a Mac but I use an ESP32 microcontroller running ESPHome with the BTLE Tracker component:

This detects BTLE devices and reports their status back to Home Assistant over WiFi so it may well work for you.

What kind of beacon did you used? Would like to make BTLE presence too would like to get some ideas. Maybe install room-assistant?

OK, I will try it in VirtualBox. How can I transfer my data from Docker to the VDI?

I can’t make a snapshot in Docker…

The idea is to use the Mac mini to detect an iPhone.

Not sure if this will work as I want it to. :slight_smile:

Why to used macMini? kind of expensive huh? you should simply used RPI4 and you are set.

Yes but since I use this one anyway for server purposes and home cinema it is already there. :slight_smile:

It does not work though, since bluetooth USB is not possible to put in VirtualBox.

Maybe there is another way.

I used the TrackR Pixel which I saw in TK Maxx in the UK for £5 for 3, I gave them a try and they worked.

You can attach them to key rings or rucksacks etc. so that you know that the tracker is within around 10m of the controller. I read of someone who put one on a garage key so they know that the key has not been left outside in the garage door at night.