Does anyone else have a new "core" file in their config folder?

I’m not sure when it showed up but I was backing up my config directory and I noticed I now have “core” file in my config directory that is 240mb.

I know it wasn’t there before I updated to v104.2 because it doesn’t exist in my backed up version of 103.6. Not to mention I would’ve noticed my backups taking way longer than normal.

I am wondering if I accidentally put a weird file in there for some odd reason. But I’m not in the habit of putting extraneous files in my config directory so that’s where the deeper mystery lies - if it’s not supposed to be there then how did it get there? I’m pretty positive I didn’t put it there.

I opened it up and it has a bunch of “code” in it but also some human readable text but it’s nothing I recognize.

here is the first snippet of human readable text:

       /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l   /   b   i   n   /   p   y   t   h   o   n   3                                         /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l   /   b   i   n   /   p   y   t   h   o   n   3                                  A        Œ„  `œ¦+ëU   œ¦+ëU                          A       A       -   -   c   o   n   f   i   g                   A       A       /   c   o   n   f   i   g                       A       A        ¦+ëU   ¦+ëU   ž¦+ëU                          A              /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l   /   l   i   b   /   p   y   t   h   o   n   3   7   .   z   i   p                     /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l   /   l   i   b   /   p   y   t   h   o   n   3   .   7                          Á       /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l   /   l   i   b   /   p   y   t   h   o   n   3   .   7   /   l   i   b   -   d   y   n   l   o   a   d                                   Á              /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l   /   b   i   n   /   p   y   t   h   o   n   3                                  A       /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l           A       A       /   u   s   r   /   l   o   c   a   l           A       !       €Z„  €Z„  !                                     ¡              %ÿ„  ]      ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿä               int([x]) -> integer
int(x, base=10) -> integer

Convert a number or string to an integer, or return 0 if no arguments
are given.  If x is a number, return x.__int__().  For floating point
numbers, this truncates towards zero.

If x is not a number or if base is given, then x must be a string,
bytes, or bytearray instance representing an integer literal in the
given base.  The literal can be preceded by '+' or '-' and be surrounded
by whitespace.  The base defaults to 10.  Valid bases are 0 and 2-36.
Base 0 means to interpret the base from the string as an integer literal.
>>> int('0b100', base=0)
4   ¡      á       P²„  8Dó,ëU  ؝²„  €ù,ëU   w„  @P²„         8       0R²„           R²„          @T²„                                   P²„   p            Ó;         €*þ,ëU   x„                                                                                                 @       P                                       x„                          XŸ²„  /usr/local/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload/_heapq.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so             á      Á             €       Àâ„         C       ÿ.<eÿ:!ÿÿÿAÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿ&ÿBÿÿÿ%ÿaÿÿÿ(ÿÿÿÿ$1*2ÿÿÿ@ÿÿÿÿÿ#

Could it have been accidentally put in when the docker image was made (I’m on non-hassio HA in docker)?

core is created when something crashes. You can run file core (on most installs) to see what caused it.

I have never seen a ‘core’ file (I would say ‘in my life’ but that’s just a wild supposition and “the last 3 years” would be far more accurate).

AND … I’ve “crashed” lots of times ! :rofl:

I guess you just are ‘really lucky’

hmmm… interesting.

Here is the results of that command on that file:

finity@NUC:~/docker/hass-config$ file core
core: ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style, from '/usr/local/bin/python3 -m homeassistant --config /config', real uid: 0, effective uid: 0, real gid: 0, effective gid: 0, execfn: '/usr/local/bin/python3', platform: 'x86_64'

That doesn’t give me any clue as to why it was there. Does it you?

The file date was 1/22/2020. As far as I know there were no issues with my system in the last few days.

EDIT: would it be safe to say that I can likely safely delete that file or at least move it somewhere else out of my config folder?

that’s the funny thing…as far as I know I haven’t crashed either. :wink:

No, but it does tell you that homeassistant was the problem, at the time.#

If you know what you’re doing you can use the core dump to find the problem. That is a somewhat arcane art though (go into any large org and you’ll likely find nobody who knows how to do that).

You can safely delete it though.

A core file (with no extensions, just “core”) is a Unix/Linux core dump from the o/s when it detects something went wrong. It will be the size of your available RAM… because it is a literal RAM core dump. It is useless unless you really want to get into the weeds of the o/s

You can delete it.

Bugger …

That’s literally what was going through its mind when it died …

Which reminds me, do you know what goes through a fly’s mind when it hits your windscreen ?

It’s Ass !

1 Like

Ok, Thanks for the info guys (and you too mutt :wink:).

i guess I’m deleting it because I have no idea how to decipher it and right now everything seems to be running ok.

I have seen it a few times and just delete it.

cool! thanks!

I already deleted it and my house didn’t explode so I think it’s probably OK. :slightly_smiling_face: