Does anyone know a way to get Kingspan Watchman Sensit Oil tank sensor working with HA

The developer has added more sensors and I have also tweaked my dashboard and added a predicted tank empty date sensor.

Code…

type: vertical-stack
cards:
  - type: entities
    entities:
      - entity: sensor.tank_capacity
      - entity: sensor.current_usage
      - entity: sensor.last_reading_date
      - entity: sensor.forecast_empty_days
      - entity: sensor.predicted_empty_date
    title: Heating Oil
    state_color: false
  - type: horizontal-stack
    cards:
      - type: custom:mini-graph-card
        entities:
          - sensor.oil_level
        hours_to_show: 8760
      - type: gauge
        entity: sensor.tank_percentage_full
        severity:
          green: 35
          yellow: 25
          red: 0
        needle: true
        max: 100
        min: 0

And template sensor for your config.yaml file…

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: Predicted Empty Date
        icon: mdi:calendar
        state: >
          {% set empty_date=now()+timedelta(days=int(states('sensor.forecast_empty_days'))) %}
          {{ empty_date.strftime("%B %d, %Y") }}
1 Like

This has stopped working -all entities are unavailable. I wonder if anyone else was having a problem with theirs?

For some reason I needed to reload the integration this morning…. All fine after doing that.

Thanks. Have reloaded but all entities showing as unavailable - it just says T"his entity is no longer being provided by the kingspan_watchman_sensit integration. If the entity is no longer in use, delete it in settings." I might have to delete and resintall.

Strange… On reflection, my entities were available, I simply reloaded to force an update to the latest reading as it was >24 hours and I understand the integration is set to read every 8…

Hi Both, I think this may be a kingspan problem, My phone app has stopped working, i cant even log in! So i thought “i wonder if i can integrate this with HA”
seems strange that both my app and your integration break at the same time. Ive message support, ill let you know what happens. Does you actual phone app still work?

Hi - yes. I have deleted and reinstalled - I had to redownload from HACS though rather than just reinstall the integration and it’s back working in but odd as it just happened out of the blue. seems a coincidence with phone app too.

Hi - App not working for me either, however reloading/restarting the integration does seem to pull the latest reading…

Just spotted this. If you do find problems, please raise a GitHub issue. If you can, turn on debugging for the integration, either through the HA UI or in the config:

logger:
  logs:
    custom_components.kingspan_watchman_sensit: debug

One user did report today that the Kingston server is not updating properly for him and reading this thread, it looks like I probably need to make this a bit more robust.

2 Likes

Great work on adding this to HA.
I am looking for a bit different approach though.
Any way to eliminate Kingspan account from the equation and get data directly from the Sensit or from the sensor that reads oil level and transmits data to Sensit?

The USB dongle that connects to the Internet could be intercepted I guess in that it must be pushing data to the Kingspan service. You’d need a way of intercepting the traffic on your local network and it’s possible that if Kingspan have done a decent job with security, you’d need to hack certificates out of the USB device.

If you want to use the sensor without the USB dongle, you’d need to reverse-engineer the RF protocol between the sensor and the dongle.

If you don’t want to use the Kingspan service, I honestly think it’d be easier just to build your own sensor. Ultrasonic sensors are cheap and you could build your own with a Wi-Fi capable mini developer board.

I personally have no plans to do any of these things as the Kingspan service works very well, but I can understand that somebody in a remote location with no Internet might have problems.

Just a heads-up, you can use 0-10v sensors and a Fibaro RGBW module to read them. I use Schneider ones to monitor rainwater levels.

And I did try to use them (plastic and stainless) to monitor Kerosene… but after a year the vapour gets into them, makes the internals swell and ruins them… and at currently around £380 UK for a stainless one the supplier said should work, it’s an expensive lesson.
Now if you suspend them in oil or in an epoxy layer before the kerosene, that could protect them (how a boat transducer is mounted inside the hull), but i’m probably not going to buy any more of those sensors to test, even though you get single percent readings with them.

It does look like the Kingsman service is offline again.
The independent app and my HA integration stopped working 2 hours ago

Hi folks - does this integration still work for people? Just bought two Kingspan sensors and the Sensit USB devices, but my username and password don’t work in the integration. I think the service the integration connects to is for another device with Kingspan offer, which includes a subscription fee. Wondering if they are blocking traffic to their servers from the integration app?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Seems to be working for me.

Which is consistent with the last update on the Kingspan system. My next reading update is due overnight,

OK - After banging my head against the wall, I removed one of the tanks (we have two oil tanks) from the Kingspan app. Then the HA integration connected immediately just like it should.

I haven’t investigated if this is a problem because the integration is just looking for one tank, or it might be because my 2nd tank hasn’t reported a measurement yet…

I suspect more likely the latter. Try contacting Kingspan, when my Sensit was giving bizzare readings they were very helpful.

Use the “Talk to Us” link from here —> Sensit

Got it all working in the end, thanks folks. The Kingspan app is a bit fragile, doesn’t seem to like it when you add / remove sensors, it wouldn’t let me re-add them once I had deleted them. Likewise I reset my account completely, then it wouldn’t let me add a sensor at all, even with a new email address. Phone call to Kingspan sorted it in 5 mins, they were very helpful I have to say.

1 Like