Does anyone know where I can find older install image for rpi 3B?

Arhhh hello there chief. That’s a bold statement
OP edited with my detail.

When you burn the image. Do you see any files on the SD card afterwards?

I have a Pi laying around, will test with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what the sdcard look like. Also balenaEtcher valides the flashing to be successfull

I have update my initial post with a little more detail about the steps I followed.

Just out of curiosity, what firmware version is on your rPI3B+? When was the last time you updated it? You might want to pop in your Rasbian card, boot it and run sudo rpi-update and let it update the firmware. This is something that normally happens when the rPi is in use and I’m not sure if hassos manages the firmware updates or not.

The reason I’m going down this road is because the newer version of HASS might require a newer version of the rPi firmware and if your firmware is older, it might be preventing it from booting.

1 Like

It’s strange that it works with all the other OS and images. You could try downloading an older version from here https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/, but choose something relatively new such as 4.11, not something from 1 year ago.

I’m still backing up the image of the Pi.

1 Like

Thanks! This could be interesting, I never manually did a firmware update of that pi no. Will try this, and see if that has any effect

Edit: I have now performed a manual firmware update,

But unfortunately this does not seem to have made a difference, I just inserted the hass-boot sd card, and the same LED behavior as before, solid red, green blinked twice. zero activity on the ethernet LED… :grimacing: Will give it half an hours wait and see if any change.

I’m afraid that the FW in eprom is only on Rpi4. On older versions of Rpi, the FW replaces the config.txt file

1 Like

Seriously? I thought that the eeprom was upgraded as well on the 3B+. Crap.

If what @pepe59 is saying is correct, then it probably won’t make a difference. Maybe you might want to try the Docker route on your rPi and many of us can help you install addons manually (it really isn’t as difficult as it sounds). I for one would be happy to help if you want.

Maybe a silly question. How did you format the SD? I have experience that in win10 when I format the SD and look at it so it is clean, but the old boot partition remains what is not visible. Can’t you have the old boot partition on the SD?

I never manually edit the partitions of my sd cards, isn’t BalenaEtcher managing that for you? (if not it should probably be included in the install steps). Every time I flash something with BalenaEtcher it have worked, except this one image in question. one of my sd cards was freshly unboxed yesterday, the other have had raspbian etc. on them which works just fine.

Alright, I will try the 4.11 version image first. and if this still does not work for me. I will have to go the docker route again yes.

1 Like

You could do a Home Assistant Supervised install instead. This will also give you Add-ons, snapshots etc., but it is installed on top of a Raspberry Pi OS instead of HA OS. There’s an excellent guide for this here.
But try the older images first.

I’m sorry but I realized that the Pi I have laying around is a Pi 4 :frowning: so I can’t replicate your process.

1 Like

OK. One more try. Format the SD to make it completely clean. I use Win32DiskImager. Balena never worked for me. I also use Rpi4 today and I also can’t replicate

1 Like

Good advice, thanks! Would you suggest that I manually delete existing partitions with the windows disk manager before using the imager ?

Yes in Disk Administrator. There, delete partitions, merge and format

I can also recommend the recently introduced official pi imager, which is available for Windows as well. https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/imager/imager_1.4.exe

Thanks. yea, I tried the official one as well. Now i’m gonna try the win32diskimager next.

the 4.11 image also did not work / boot.

Alright, this must be enough. Now I’ve tried both win32diskimager and the official pi one, I have deletet all partitions, created new full partition and farmatted the sd card (the slow format). So…

Going to install the Home Assistant Supervised on top of Raspberry pi OS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a spare pi3b somewhere. I’ll see if I can reproduce this.

I have found that using (on Windows 10) Win32diskimager to create the .img file. Quite fast actually. and then switch to Rufus (3.1.320). the version may not matter, but it is slower and when the image is written to the microSD card, it works. So I kinda stick to what I know works (for me at least).

I am actually doing that now, in prep for 0.117