Does ZWave JS support multiple networks?

I have recently purchased an Aeotec Z-Stick 7 with which to try out ZWave JS prior to pushing the button and switching from OpenZWave (beta) for my production Z-Wave network. I know OpenZWave (beta) supports multiple networks, is the same possible with ZWave JS? Having been happy with my initial ZWave JS testing I would now like to upgrade my production network to Z-Wave JS but retain the ability to experiment with the Z-Stick 7 as a development network without introducing a second Home Assistant server.

Yes it does.

1 Like

Here’s an example:

2 Likes

I wonder what the special sauce is for…

Flavor obviously :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thank you.

I shall give it a try, backup (of course!), remove OpenZWave (beta) and then see what Z-Wave JS makes of my production environment.

Is this achieved via the UI or does it require configuration file editing?

I am currently using zwave2mqtt with MQTT disabled for the front end. It is a up to date, vanilla Home Assistant OS installation on a NUC, so nothing particularly off piste setup wise.

Via the UI

Sorry to revive an old thread but can you be more specific about how this is achieved? Did you set up two instances of zwavejs and two separate integrations in home assistant or is it two controllers in the same instance of zwavejs?

I am currently using a 500 series controller and I bought a 700 to do some testing with devices that are not currently part of my zwave network.

You use 2 instances of the integration:

Which means 2 running instances of zwavejs2mqtt.

1 Like

Thank you for responding/confirming! I started to do that last night and forgot to rename the second container and ended up wiping some of my configuration :sweat_smile:

Can you explain please , how install two instance of Z-wave js ?

1 Like

Personally I run zwavejs2mqtt as a separate docker container so I just spin up a second one with a different name and put The UI and web server on separate ports and map a different serial port where the other zwave radio is plugged in. Not sure how it differs for others.

2 Likes

I managed to find a way to clone the zwavejs2mqtt inside HA so you don’t have to manually manage a separate docker container, I created a guide here:

1 Like

I see the question asked multiple times, and don’t see an answer with enough detail for me to follow, so reviving this old thread to hopefully get at least a couple steps toward the goal of: How do install two instances of Z-Wave JS/Z-Wave JS UI? Specifically, on a raspberry pi setup using the image from HA. I just don’t see any way to rename or edit at the level low enough to enable creating two of these. I also don’t see where the ui @firstof9 pasted would even be found. The best I can do is rename the integration which doesn’t seem to do much else.

Click “+ ADD INTEGRATION” on the Devices & Services page, and search for Z-Wave, and select it. Continue on and enter your remote URL.

1 Like

Keep in mind this is for 2 separate zwave networks, not installing both addons at the same time for a single zwave stick.

1 Like

OK wow, I see now (sorry it was slow to sink in). The described process is not to install two instances of the Add-On… it’s to connect to a second remote instance of the Add-On via the integration.

Here’s what I’m hoping to do - perhaps it’s not possible? I’d really like two instances of the Add-On on the same RasPi, so that I can talk to my two Z-Net’s that I have been using for HomeSeer (house and detached workshop, separate networks), in order to migrate those networks to HomeAssistant with minimal Z-wave-related effort.

If there’s a way to backup/restore a network from HomeSeer to a Razberry, that could work as well for one of the networks as I picked up one of those originally when I started going down this path. I still think I’d need a second Z-Wave Add-on for the remote Z-Net. Trying to avoid throwing any more RasPi’s into the mix since my original intent was to do this on Kubernetes until I saw no Add-On support there.

It’s not possible to run multiple instances of the same add-on in HAOS.

You could check the comment above for instructions on enabling this in a Supervised installation. However, if you’re using HAOS that procedure is likely not possible, and it’s already complicated to being with.

Alternatively, you could create your own Add-on repository containing a clone of the the existing community add-on. You would change the add-on slug to something unique, publish the repo under your own GitHub account, and install your add-on repo in your HAOS. This is also a complicated solution that would require some technical knowledge beyond most HA users, and you become a maintainer of of your own add-on, needing to update it for every new upstream release.

It is possible to run one instance of Z-Wave JS and another of Z-Wave JS UI (since they are different add-ons), but the former does not support TCP serial ports, so it wouldn’t address your use case.

Thanks, you’ve clarified another detail I didn’t quite get - that those two add-ons are distinct. I couldn’t quite tell if one was controlling the other so using both may let me use the internal Razberry for one network and then remote to the Z-net for the other. Only having to migrate half my zwave devices is certainly better than all.