Dog Water Bowl Low Sensor

One of my more useful & simple automations is a dog water bowl sensor. It uses an Aqara Water Leak Sensor to monitor when the water dips below a certain level. Then I use Node-RED to get a text and a pushbullet to refill. Keeps our dogs hydrated, especially in this hot summer. Huge points on the WAF scale.

Details: All made for easy disasembly & cleaning. Single core wire extensions to the Aqara allen screw posts. Velcro’d the sensor to a sturdy plastic clip. Twisted the wires through the middle and through tight holes in the orange clamp jaw. Node-RED monitor of the trigger state. When Dry construct a message out to text and pushbullet with email optional. Easy Peasy

10 Likes

How does the battery hold up? I could imagine the constant connection would drain the battery.

Still running on the original battery. Two dogs in our house now, and a third for a few weeks while my son is away. The sensor triggers reliably about 5 times a day. A very useful automation!

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile: I’m curious. How long do you think you can make those cables? I want to use the same mod for our water tank but configure it the other way around. Notify me if the sensor does NOT detect water so I know the water is below a certain level. I could put the sensor in a waterproof housing and have the cables submerged until the water is at low level.

It’s just an idea.

I have my Aqara leak sensor attached to a regular extension cord that’s about 4ft long. It goes into my sump tank for ground water in my house. It allows me easy access to the sensor without it being in a tight spot.

It’s really just a switch that the sensor wakes up from when it changes.

Ok, thanks.
I will give it a try.