Dog Water Bowl Sensor

One of the simplest gadgets to measure ADC value of water in dog’s bowl using ESP8266 and notifying on HA via notifications.

6 Likes

This is a good idea, I always forget to fill up my dogs bowl.

How long do you think that sensor will last? I feel like they get hard water buildup really quick.

I sample every 5 min and the esp8266 stays on deep sleep rest of the time. In this setup, battery goes from 4.2v to 3.8 in about a month (LDO I use HT7333 can run up to 3.4V which is another month). Yes there is hard water buildup on the sensor, I wipe it with a tissue dry every week.

1 Like

How long does the battery last before needing a recharge?

About a month for 18650 to drop from 4.2V to 3.8V, this is when I recharge to 4.2V. HT7333 (LDO) will work even with a 0.4V voltage differential, ie 18650 at 3.7V. I wake device up every 5 min, you can change this value to get better battery life. Also I turn the rain sensor on using a digital pin, which means the rain sensor is not always on.

nice Project debsahu, did you think to do, the same Project but to door sensors, and pir sensors?
i want to built, door sensors, and pir sensors with deep sleep, but i would like to see the DiY.

Absolutely, see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbMfb0dIvYc . I have 433MHz reed switch based door sensors (<$1 bought here https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_659761.html) and get reliable data on my MQTT topic/pi (433 MHz receiver and RCSwitch + Paho MQTT Python script). But you can use a ESP8266 instead just like Andreas describes in his video: a reed switch or a physical button.

What size and type of capacitor did you use?

1000uF electrolytic

hi , I see in the video there’s a resistor, what that for?

Hi!

I.m new at this, and one of the main thing I wanted to do is similar to this… We are redoing our home, and I don’t want to deal with my dogs need to spill 85% of the water he tries to drink with all the new floor materials. So first we thought of adding a sort of floor like a shower type, but that would really be a huge space for that and it wont really solve the problem since we don’t have were to put that area, knowing it could be wet all the time…

Then while working on the system we are going to install, I remembered the sensors and all that I have never really gotten into that much thinking I would never use them at home… but…

This is the idea, and thank you for keeping uo with me:

A big “long” bowl like a Tally, but not that deep, just a couple of inches
I have a “no spill” bowl which allows him to drink but he can’t spill since there is just an inch or two of water at the time (I don’t use it all the time because we have 3 dogs and it only holds 2L of water). So the idea is to connect a sensor to the water level to always keep it at 1 inch - 1 1/2 inches of water, bring a pipe down to the bowl (one of the back corners of it) with a big water supply connected to it, and wither gravity or a pump to fill the bowl when the sensor tells it to.

Do you guys know of anything I could use as a big bowl like that?
What sensor can I have there in the bowl?
Is the idea viable? should I connect a water supply or just directly to the water supple of the home and add a water flow control valve to the pipe?

I really don’t know what else to do, I really need a constant water supply because they 3 dogs drink water like crazy, just one of them doesn’t know how to drink

Thank you!!
Best Regards!