Don't show incompatible updates (or show them as unavailable)

Sure, kinda odd to me (as I said: I’ve never noticed this kind of behavior in any other software), but that’s why I included the alternative proposition in this FR:

• a.) make a separate “Upcoming updates” list (apart from the normal “Updates” list)
  • b.) [proposed within the discussion] make a Settings option to decide the desired behavior
  • b.) [also mention within the discussion]: at least show the missing requirements in the update info (instead of learning about the incompatibility from the error shown after clicking Install)

The last option would still bug me though, as I’d like to avoid the seeing the incompatible update –> but would be a small user experience enhancement of course, change in a good direction.

I get your reasoning, but you’re asking for all this additional management. When right this minute you can get what you want without any additional management. What you’re asking for would likely need to be done by the core team because it’s a core area. The likelihood of this ever happening is extremely low because you can use blueprints and automations to do this right now.

It falls into the same category as scan_interval. Half the people want 1 button clicks, the other half want crazy intervals. So it’s an automation to appease both groups.

I personally don’t count on… votes count :wink: Explained here (topic for another topic, I guess ;)).

I’m personally more hoping for a “reasonable and willing” developer, noticing that there is an issue that could be solved :slight_smile:

Sure. I believe that shouldn’t discourage me from making this FR. Or any other person doing any other FR in the future :+1:

Not discouraging, showing you the reality of your request. Basically saying “Don’t get your hopes up”.

I’ve been using HA for a bit now, got Regular on forum → I’ve exactly knew what I was doing when making the FR :+1:

Yes but you weren’t involved in HA when the update entities were introduced and you don’t know the history behind them which lead to the current implementation.

Yep, that still shouldn’t discourage me from making this FR. Or any other person doing any other FR in the future :wink:

Things are not carved in stones…

1 Like

They are after 6 years of changes to get to the current implementation that works for everyone :wink:

I’ll leave you be. Just understand that the system wasn’t built overnight and there were many systems in the past that failed (and did what you wanted).

Quite contraire! I’ve never seen any kind of system that prompts to install incompatible (apps/libs/dependencies/whatev) and then fails with an error :wink:

I was referring to past Home Assistant specific update systems. There were at least 3 other variations that I can remember using.

The current implementation was built to appease everyone and it leveraged automations so that anyone could do whatever they wanted. I’m not mincing my words here. You are encouraged to use automations and blueprints to hammer out these details you’re bringing up in this FR.