Don't show incompatible updates (or show them as unavailable)

On my Updates list Spook has appeared. But when I click Install, the Failed to call service update/install. This version requires HomeAssistant 2024.4.0 or newer. error appears.

Feature request: don’t show me this update then.

Alternative: move it to some kind of “upcoming” section, separate from the normal Updates.

If I cannot install it, why is it on my list anyway?

BTW, another issue, although directly connected to this particular situation…
Spook update requires HA 2024.4.0, I’m on 2024.2.5. This integration encourages to upgrade it BEFORE upgrading HA to 2024.5 → and I cannot do that, because there is no button to upgrade HA to 2024.4.x → the update for HA I see is directly to 2024.5. This makes it a “chicken and egg” kind of a problem :wink:

HA is doing it a little different than what you wish for. :slight_smile:

There are two ways to not get update notifications:

• you can disable the update notifications for a specific integration like Spook, so you don’t get any more update notifications.
  • you can also ignore the update, and won’t get any further updates for this specific integration.

The intention behind this, reminding users to update. Therefor it is at least one interaction necessary from user side, to not get reminded anymore.

To me this seems like a fair compromise, between the wish from developer side to update and the user not getting nagged about an update, but at least get reminded once. :wink:

1 Like

Terminal

ha core update --version 2024.4.4

I don’t want to do that. In general, I want the updates.

I also don’t want to do that. When the time comes, I want to to update it.

It’s not that I don’t want to update Spook. I do want. I can’t. Because I’d need to update HA first.

HA knows perfectly well that I cannot upgrade Spook right now → it shows me the error.

Therefore, what I’m asking is: don’t show me the update until I can actually install the update. So, the Spook update should appear AFTER I installed the HA update.

Just make the check BEFORE showing Spook on the Updates list, not as late as only after I click the Install button.

Sure, thanks, I know I can do that from CLI → my issue is with the Web UI in this particular FR :slight_smile:

Actually, I already had installed 2024.5.0b0 2 days before the Spook update came available, so no harm done if you install it after the upgrade to 2024.5.x

I can certainly understand the request, and I think there are two things. First, I wouldn’t want it to not show just because I’m on the wrong version - it may be a nudge to update if I have been holding off for some reason. Second, there should be a mechanism that puts a banner on such updates that says “Requires Upgrade to x.x.x” to make it clear. But all of this I think is more of a HACS request than an HA request since the integration of HACS updates into the HA update section is a new feature of HACS.

Yep, from the release notes:

Upgrading Spook before Home Assistant is recommended but not critical.
~ Release v3.0.0 · frenck/spook · GitHub

This FR is not about Spook per se → Spook is just an example here → the FR is about (not) showing incompatible updates in HA in general.

Yeah, I understand that. Hence I’m also proposing the alternative: the “upcoming” updates section. So that we know the update is coming, but not (yet) installable right now.

Although I haven’t actually seen this kind of strategy with any other software.

Or it could be configurable: to show the incompatibles or not. Anyway, clicking “Install” with the “error” → is a bit “too late”.

At least, exactly.

This, I don’t know, unfortunately…

I get that you don’t want to, but as I said above, it’s a compromise between two wishes.

As a developer you have an interest in people updating. Therefor you want people to actually see, there is an update. Period.

You want to not get reminded, fair enough, but in that case, you have to do something on your own => disabling the notifications. If you want them back, you can always unhide the ignored update with one click and install it.

I can just say it again, you don’t want to, the developer wants you to, so the compromise is to show a reminder once and leave the rest to the user. As @CO_4X4 said, these notifications make sense, to remind people to upgrade.

And for the specific integration, Spook, you already stated correctly, that you can update to HA 2024.5.x without worrying. :wink: So just update HA and afterwards Spook.

1. I do want to be reminded – as soon as there is an update → I want to see the update option.
  2. If I disable the notification → then upgrade HA → will the Spook update appear again? I don’t think so (although I’m just guessing). I’d have to remember to look into disabled updates to install it, right? That’s error prone and unncesessary, from the user point of view.

As I said: technicallly HA knows I cannot update the integration right now → just show me the update when I can (don’t make me skip it entirely).

I don’t think there needs to be a compromise → I think both goals (having the latest available updates shown AND not showing updates that are not installable) can be achieved at the same time (with my FR).

In two years time the Spook update, targeted at an upcoming version, was the first time ever I experienced this, and I have not experienced it since. So i.m.h.o. this request is for such a limited use case, it barely warrant al this discussion.

Ignore the upgrade, unhide it once you are ready for it.

1 Like

That’s honestly what I do, just ignore it and when the NEXT update comes out it will pop up again. I don’t do it often but I hate seeing that gold number next to settings so I’ve done it a few times.

As I stated, I took Spook just as an example to show the kind of problem with the Updates list. I don’t know how many of the thousands of integrations and versions have the same kind of issue.

I’m not saying it’s a big priority → I’ve noticed a thing that’s bugged me, I’m doing FR to propose an improvement for user experience. That’s what feature requests are for, I’d assume :wink:

I have close to a hundred integrations, so I dare say it isn’t common. Spook is uncommon as it ties very deep into HA, in ways that normal integrations shouldn’t. So I expect that to be way more version dependent than most. I must admit I keep up to date pretty quick though.

This may explain why you don’t stumble upon this issue more often.

I’ve just noticed yet another one:

The idea behind these update entities is for you to build automations off them. Everything you’re requesting can be done with automations. The likelihood of a system being put into place to appease this is low when it can be done today with an automation.

Take a look through existing blueprints, there may be something that does this already
https://community.home-assistant.io/search?q=%23blueprints-exchange%20update

Yeah, I will look into the entities some day and I think you’re right I should be able to automate disabling/enabling incompatible updates, when I do.

I still think it should be built-in for the best possible user experience.

I mean, it’s kind of odd, it’s showing me updates I cannot install. I’ve never encountered this kind of situation with any other software.

Let’s take MacOS as an example: it will not show me an update of Safari that’s not compatible with my OS version.

The system shows update entities, there are people who want to know updates are available even though it’s not for them. That’s why they were built for automations. So what happens with that group of people if this is implemented? Do we now have to add buttons and options for the system? Where do those options go? Now there’s another system that needs to be managed in multiple places.

or…

use a blueprint / automation that does exactly what you want because you built it.

Enough said above from others about the FR. :slight_smile:

But this I think is not correct. If you ignore an update, future updates don’t come up again automatically, or do they? Or are you talking about HA core updates?

I’m quite sure, if you ignore an update for an integration installed via HACS, the future notifications won’t appear. :slight_smile: But as others said, I’m updating quickly and I didn’t have that situation in over six years with HA, so can’t say for sure.
I ignored an update recently, because of breaking changes in the integration that I hadn’t had time to correct, and I’m quite sure the integration was updated inbetween. And I didn’t get an update notification.

Anyway, I’m happy as it is, but if enough votes come up, why not… :smiley: