Door Sensor icon in HA

Hi,

I have a Z-Wave door sensor connected.

While the door is closed the sensor is reporting “off” which means the sensor icon shows a hollow circle.

When the door is open the sensor reports “on” and shows a tick in the circle.

Is there any way to invert the icons? I think it would make more sense to have a tick when the door is closed and secure.

Dan

Theoretically you should be able to do that with an icon_template. I haven’t personally gotten it to work, however…

When we were working on the HA Dashboard alphas and betas, I got into a similar discussion with @aimc regarding lock status on the lock widget and my initial position was the same as yours.

But as Andrew explained it, most users would want a notification tick when a door is open - an insecure condition - as opposed to a notification tick as an assurance that “all was well”. Also, since the door is going to be in a closed state more often than an open state, the status color would kind of end up losing it’s meaning.

In that context, it made an enormous amount of sense to me and I ended up changing my opinion completely.

Of course, being the kind of dev that he is, he went and made it an option to do it either way to allow freedom of choice… but I never went back to it as his explanation made perfect sense to me.

1 Like