Door sensor with controllable LED

So, in my house I have two bathrooms, and there is nothing more annoying than getting in the shower only to find out someone else is using the other one at the same time: cold, low pressure water = NO FUN!

That’s why I started thinking about some way to indicate if the other one is in use. I’ve had numerous ideas:

1. Just using the Home Assistant app (with toggles) - not practical enough so probably won’t be used
  2. Making my own sensor thingy. At first using a button then some kind of magnetic sensor (even ordered some nrf52 boards to try) - might be a last resort but seems too time consuming for me right now. The main problem is battery management
  3. Using some Zigbee door/window sensor to detect a closed shower door and mark it as “in-use”.

Currently number 3 seems the best for me right now, only problem is indication. So yes, it should be pretty easy to detect a shower is in use, but no way to easily see it without looking at the phone.
Obviously if I made my own device it should be trivial to add a small LED indicator for that, but my question is if there’s any commercial door/window sensor with a built in LED that CAN BE controlled via home assistant?
I’ve seen some of them have a tiny LED, but it seems to only function as pairing indication/low battery, with no mention of controllability.

My main constraints are it been able to run on batteries (I have no outlet nearby) without needing to change them every week (~6 months or better is OK), and i’m not tied to any form of connectivity as it’s my first IoT project, but I think Zigbee is the most versatile so would prefer it.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Lets bump for another chance

Problem is most battery devices don’t actively listen to the radio. There are exceptions, but I don’t know one that really fits your case. It could exist though.

Easiest option that come to mind would be a zigbee bulb you could change color or add an effect to as an indicator.