Doorbell Press + Automation

Hi all,

This is gonna be a long post,

I currently have a Bell 5t video doorbell with a wireless chime, I think the chime is connected via bluetooth or RF, not too sure but not wifi, I think.

My doorbell is connected using the Tuya integration and also with the Smart Life app for android. The usual entities are found such as “Flip Video, Time watermark, Motion Alarm etc” but there is no “doorbell active/button active entity”.

There is an entity called “input_button.doorbell_press” that according to HA isnt related to anything and is an “Input Button”

In the Smart Life app, Tuya/HA will only recongize when i create a “Tap-To-Run” scene and not a “Automation” scene.

I was trying to do it so that when my doorbell is pressed it calls/triggers the “Automation” scene that then calls the “Tap-To-Run” scene that sets the state as “disarmed” which is then picked up by HA and then displayed on my dashboard with some information and some future automations I plan to create.

I am very new to HA and I was wondering if there is anyway to make this process much more simple and easy to configure.

I want the ability for HA assistant to detect when the doorbell is pressed and then after 30seconds or so, return to the pre-pressed state. I want to use automations such as sending a PiP to my TV showing the doorbell and also the cast to my google hub(s), I want to be able to turn on a outside light provided some conditions are met such as light levels, time and sun position.

I have tried using CHATGPT, Forum posts and YouTube but have come up with nothing that works

Most of what you are looking do to seems like it can be done through the UI for setting up automations. (I am not sure about the PiP, but some research here should show you the way). Here is what my doorbell automation looks like both through the UI and then in YAML.

UI:

and YAML:

alias: Doorbell on Sonos Front
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.front2_door_ding
    to: "on"
    enabled: true
condition: []
action:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    metadata:
      title: ring.mp3
      thumbnail: null
      media_class: music
      children_media_class: null
      navigateIds:
        - {}
        - media_content_type: app
          media_content_id: media-source://media_source
    data:
      media_content_id: media-source://media_source/local/ring.mp3
      media_content_type: audio/mpeg
    target:
      entity_id:
        - media_player.kitchen_2
        - media_player.office_3
        - media_player.master_bath_2
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 4
      milliseconds: 300
  - service: tts.speak
    metadata: {}
    data:
      cache: true
      media_player_entity_id: media_player.kitchen_2
    target:
      entity_id: tts.home_assistant_cloud
mode: single

Hope that helps

1 Like

Hi,

Unfortunately I havent gotten to that stage yet, I am still stuck on just trying to get HA to recongize when the doorbell button is pressed.

You may want to try pressing the doorbell, then look at the log to see what is triggered. I’ve been able to reverse engineer a lot of entities that way…

have you already pressed the doorbell, then inspected the history log for each possible entity to see what, if anything, changed with those entities when you pressed the doorbell?

that’s what i would do if you haven’t already…

Hi,

I have inspected both the “Logbook” and the “History” tabs, nothing shows any status change relating to the doorbell entities or the device itself, In the Home Assistant Core Logs, I did notice a “Error from stream worker: Error opening stream (HTTP_NOT_FOUND, Server returned 404 Not Found)” but my doorbell still shows up on my dashboard, I googled the error and not much seem to come up about it, a Github here.

I have no clue what to do next or how to proceed, I can get notifcations and pop ups on my phone when the doorbell is rang, just cant get the entities on HA, dunno what to do, was considering purchasing a sound/vibration sensor and placing it on the chime

Looking at the logs it seems that the Stream Worker Error is just being flooded in my logs and that is all that is there, HTTP_NOT_FOUND 404

Heres an update,

I think I am going to purchase a 433Mhz transceiver for an ESP82266/32 and then use that to detect when the doorbell sends a signal to the chime and then use automations by using the values from the transceiver.

Please feel free to help me out with any guides or issues that I may run into