Download OS image but it turned out to be "Core" version

I downloaded the VirtualBox Home Assistant OS image for Linux VM’s from this page (this image).

I followed the instructions on the page and I’m now running Home Assistant from the .vdi image on a VirtualBox VM on Ubuntu 22.04 on an Intel NUC.

Stupidly, I didn’t check the Home Assistant version before starting to configure my home on it. When I eventually attempted to add the Ewelink integration (for which Supervisor is required) I realized that Supervisor isn’t available because I’m running the Core version (I think). I’m not actually sure if this is the case. When I go to Settings → About I see the following:

• Core 2023.11.0
  • Supervisor 2023.10.1
  • Operating System 11.1
  • Frontend 20231030.1

Am I running Core or OS? If it’s OS, how do I get to Supervisor (it’s not in the left pane)? If I’m running Core, how did that happen? I specifically downloaded the .vdi image that is meant to install the OS version on a Linux VM?

Welcome to HA. You’ve been watching old YouTube videos I assume? Supervisor as a seperate item on the toolbar has been gone for a few versions, but you should find what you are looking for on the Settings page (the cog at the bottom).

2 Likes

Also - you are running HAOS as you expected when you started… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The naming convention is … unfortunate.

Core is both one of the install methods and the name for the underlying software that everybody has. Without Core you have no Home Assistant.

And as Daryl said, the Supervisor menu was removed a year or two back and the things that used to hide there can now be found in more relevant locations.

2 Likes