Downplay device_tracker from the Android mobile app using consider_home

Hi fellow tinkers,

I am using the Android companion app and from time to time it doesn’t send any updates about location which make HA think I’m still home.
My setup includes 2 device_trackers one from the router and one from the phone gps.
I saw in the documentation that I can use consider_home to let HA think i’m out if there is no recent update. but all examples refer to how to use it with the router integration:

# Example configuration.yaml entry for Netgear device
device_tracker:
  - platform: netgear
    host: IP_ADDRESS
    username: YOUR_USERNAME
    interval_seconds: 10
    consider_home: 180
    new_device_defaults:
      track_new_devices: true

My question is if I can set up a value for consider_home for the tracker coming from the phone? if so, what platform should I choose in the configuration.yaml entry.

Thanks,
Tomer.

no you cannot configure consider_home for the mobile_app device tracker, instead refer to these troubleshooting steps to fix the issue with reporting.

if that fails continue to the logs discussion just below the steps.

Hi @dshokouhi , thanks for your quick reply.
I don’t think that any solution based on the mobile device is a good option. Some of the phones are used by my kids, lot of time they are running out of battery and in general are in bad state.
I think the backend need to have some configurable solution which can mitigate problematic devices. The smart people of HA already came up with reasonable solution which is consider_home. I don’t understand why the mobile app integration is special and can not be configured. Is there something really special about it? Is it small change which makes sense to try to solve? I don’t want to invest in it if there is another better solution.

Thanks,
Tomer.