Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Whilst building plots for ha-wiser in grafana, I have noticed that climate is_heating is not necessarily true when percentage_demand >0.
I see periods in my plots where there’s apparently demand but is_heating remains false. This only happens for some of those very short periods of heating you get as in your plot). I’m not sure if this boolean data is lost due to resampling when generating plotting or the data is not recorded. But it is another reason why I prefer the percentage_demand attribute over the is_heating one as it always seems to reflect call for heat.

Adding LTS Heating demand to the plot it looks as if allowing for thermal delay the valve opens when it goes above zero.

Not sure it closes immediately when heating demand goes back to zero, but it looks like this could be the best guide as to if a valve should be open or not.

1 Like

There’s the LTS and there is also the percentage_demand attribute of climate entities.
I assume LTS demand is long term equivalent. The datapoints are fewer and farther between (makes sense as it’s LTS).
I am not much cop at lovelace and tend to do it all in grafana. But I believe you can plot attributes’ values as well as entity default states in HA graphs.

Again probably off topic, but the config of the Wiser Integration allows the setting of boost values and timing, defaulted to the initial config read from Wiser. Changing the default allows a different boost to that offered by the wiser app which is great.

However, the config screen also allows the input of negative values, which actually is a nice feature, but it doesn’t translate into something sent to Wiser. The use case , is something like popping out for a couple of hours, or a temperature hold

Two of my TRV’s are eating batteries like cookies. The most distant ones from the Hub. Two days and one battery is gone. So its always the same - one battery is 0% the second is 100%.

Off topic I know, but Ive just seen these things, are they worth it?

We have a solid wall tall ceilings house, anything to increase the heat

A while ago there was a post about “Heating Stats” with “Hours heating today”, “…Yesterday” etc. I am sure that there was something on “Recipes” about it , but I cannot find mention of it now apart from this graphic.

Can anyone give me or point me to the code or explain “how to”?

It’s definitely in Recipes still

Ahhh…why did I miss it…I’m playing now, Thanks

Sorry to pull on this old reply. Just easier than asking from scratch.

What do you guys do to overcome this issue on rooms you have no room thermostat? Do you use set points higher than “real”? Or what’s your take? I honestly do not like the idea of spending money on room thermostats for every room. It feels like the iTRVs were a waste of money…

Also a couple additional questions that might be already answered but didn’t manage to find with the search.

1. Is there a way to get entities for the iTRVs temperature for rooms that have multiTRVs? I’m sure you know what I mean. I have a large room with 3 iTRVs AND the room thermostat. I know/guess the roomstat takes priority and is used as the “room temperature” and iTRVs get ignored. That’s fine. But is there a way (for science) to check on the iTRVs individual entities?
  2. Do iTRVs report on the % of valve open? How can we make sure they are indeed working properly and not need calibration?

Many thanks for the awesome thread activity too.

I’ve got reflectors behind all my radiators - they were cheap and unobtrusive, so thought nothing to lose. Do they help? No idea!

My parents have the radfans on a couple of their radiators. You can definitely feel the heat from them, but they are quite noisy (especially in a quiet room), and of course you have the running costs.

Not used the deflectors, but I have wanted something like that for ages as we have a rad under our worktop in the kitchen, so the room is freezing and the worktop is toasty warm, so just about to order one to try!

Hey,

I used a real thermometer to work out the room temp and then just set the temp +1-2C higher, We have high ceilings (3m) so not surprised the trvs get confused.

If you look in the recipes section wiserHomeAssistantPlatform/recipes/linking_3rd_party_sensors_to_wiser_heating.md at 6549411942e8c5e99b6fa63988b109c15fe7b8c6 · asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform · GitHub we have some documentation showing how you can use another temp sensor (sonoff/aquara etc) to boost the room so that it reaches the true temp. The real fix is for Drayton Wiser to offer an “offset” value , they are aware of this and it is on the roadmap…

1 Like

Well , ive ordered foil, quite cheap and then i might get some passive reflectors. The ones with fans claim to be quiet , obviously not!

2 Likes

Will want to hear your thoughts when installed. If you feel an improvement I might order some too. My living room is large and struggles heating up even with 3 rads.

1 Like

Battery level stats are mostly went out. I think after last update of 9.3.

There’s measuring the temp in an appropriate location and then there’s sensor issues. We’ve had a couple of old school thermometers on the walls for years. One is mercury. They always agree with each other to within half degree C when set next to one another. That doesn’t of course mean their right!

I compared one of them with a wiser roomstat, a wiser iTRV, a homemade BME280 sensor (esphome) and temp readout of an old currentcost meter I have.
The wiser roomstat always agreed well with the thermometer.
The rest were all over the place and could not be brought inline with a fixed offset. I’m wondering if the RH sensor in the roomstat is also as good.
Some of these sensors offer precision that belies their (in)accuracy :grinning:

You can potentially calibrate your old school mercury thermometers and use them as reference to see how accurate the others are. This is what I did and then I created template sensors to calibrate all my zigbee thermometers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everyone I know that has a woodburner has one of these. Doesn’t require electricity and achieves the same thing - and also fun. Maybe radiators don’t get hot enough to turn a fan by themselves…

Although I’m a bit frustrated about the temperature inconsistency between the different thermostats, I don’t really care what the temperature is measured at. I ended up adjusting each rooms’ setting up or down depending on whether it felt too cold or warm, which might be as much a function of what people do in each room than an actual celsius figure. It would be great if they were more accurate and consistent, but I don’t feel any regret. Much better than the Nest system I had the last place I lived.

I wonder what people on Hive or Tado forums are frustrated by?

3 Likes

mine are all fine, what version of the integration are you on?