Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Yes, That’s how I did it. Built it manually.
The blueprint just does it for you and also lists the sensors under the the Hildebrand device, but hey you can do that too manually!
And yes you have to use the free Glow App to get them talking to the DCC before they will commission and let you buy the CAD, which makes a lot of sense otherwise you’d be wasting yur money

1 Like

I use this (Electricity Meter Interface - smart Zigbee meter for home electricity monitoring - frient) with zigbee2mqtt. It’s pretty expensive but it was an easy battery powered solution for me and works flawlessly.

That looks like it’s just for Elec?
Hildebrand monitors all your smart meters, both Gas and Elec. locally via ZigBee and outputs via Wi-Fi and MQTT locally to your chosen MQTT client. I use the mosquito addon in HA. No issues at all.
Even when the central regulation Smart Meter database (DCC) goes down.

And no I am not affiliated with Hildebrand :slight_smile:

Ah yes. No mains gas here so not needed. Just electricity.

I thought about getting one of those over a year ago as a stopgap for electricity monitoring, but it seemed excessive to spend money on it as a temporary solution for only half of my energy usage (the other half being gas).

When I reconsidered a few months later, due to the eternal wait for DCC connection and the energy companies (I’ve switched providers twice to try and move it forward more quickly) being completely useless and unable to tell me anything about when it will happen or expidite it, it’s been unavailable at Amazon every time I have looked since, which makes me wonder if it’s been discontinued (not that it matters really being Zigbee).

Anyway, I’m going to hold out now in the hope that my smart meters get sorted out in the next year and I can finally purchase the Hildebrand Glow.

Geo IHD / Insights+ gives real time electric and 30 minute gas data. There is also a HA integration for it that can be installed using HACS.

Note that you don’t have to email Geo customer services as your device is already enabled for api access for Insights+

I have a SMETS2 meter supplied by Eon.
It took a few emails with Eon, to get the costing data (standing charges and kWhr rates), to indicate correctly but they have been ok for 12 months+ now.

I dont have the Glow/Hidebrand CAD but signed up in February to their DCC sourced data feature for HA.

It took a week or so for the data to become available in HA but it did become ‘stable’ by 3rd March.

I then noted the daily elec & gas kWhr readings given on the SMETS display during March and compared it with the data values shown in HA.

The MCC data is (nearly) always low. See the table.
If it wasn’t for the fact, the values were consistently close, I would suspect they are sending me someone elses data!?

No gas figures have been received for 27th,28th & 29th March as of 1130hrs 30th March.
Electricity figures for these days all show < 0.5kWhr.

If you like accurate data, (what’s the point in not having accurate data?), the MCC data is useless…
(In my experience anyway).

To me, the Wiser Insights is handy and useful.

For your information, here is the last catalog Wiser where we can find the new hub (generation 2) Our preferred Integration Compliant and also the the power tag that allow the energy measurement by wiser …:
https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_enDocType=Catalog&p_File_Name=LSB03174EN_Wiser+France+(web).pdf&p_Doc_Ref=LSB03174EN

Yes, The DCC data showed lower for me too, I think because of the change over lag from one day to the next.

However with the Hildebrand CAD it is accurate to the watt and the penny, all the time, because it is using the actual meter data before it gets sent out to the supplier and the DCC.
The only problem (as you have touched on) is the tariff in the meters (and at the DCC) can be wrong as my gas tariff is. Getting SP to change it has become a nightmare.
So I use my own sensors in HA to calculate the correct charges.

Wiser Insights doesn’t work for me as Schneider say I have ineligible meters which is strange because they work and are connected to the DCC, maybe Wiser only works with Geo?

There’s definately an error with their DCC costing values.
According to these graphs, they will owe me money for my electicity consumption this month.
:slight_smile:

That’s strange - have you changed the sensor from “total increasing” to stop the erroneous warnings from HA about monetary sensors?
I tried to stop the warnings in the logs by changing the state_class but the next day got negative values which is impossible for gas!

It looks to me from your graphs, that the Elec cost is a relative negative image of your usage. I think you have something wrong, if not, have you tried contacting Hildebrand support? They are absolutely superb, second to none.

Oh, I was wrong about the Glow CAD it seems! Updated list of options and comparison:

All these options achieve the same result:

A. Insights+: per-second electricity and 30-minute gas readings, via Geo cloud API. Needs purchase of a device, not too expensive, but internet-only. Possibly some minor delay due to cloud round-trip connection.
B. Hilderbrand Glow CAD: Same per-second electricity and 30-minute gas readings. These can be retrieved either via the Hilderbrand cloud API OR via a local MQTT connection. Needs purchase of their CAD that is more expensive than Insights+. Very interesting option, although the most expensive one.
C. Hilderbrand free Glow API without CAD: Gives access to 30-minute electricity and 30-minute gas readings, via the DCC. Free, no CAD, Some delay due to internet/DCC round-trip, no real-time electricity readings.
D. Building up a esphome device with an optical/reed sensor to read electricity meter directly: Best solution for electricity, instant real-time readings without cloud. Cost to build this device probably similar to insights+ CAD (under 20gbp). Some gas meters may also allow a similar device, but typically SMETS2 smart gas meters do not have magnets or LED counters on them to save battery, so that wouldnt work.

Combining C+D will give you local real-time electricity data and 30-minute gas data via internet, with only cost of the esp8266 device and a few parts. The exact same data can also be retrieved using Hilderbrand Glow CAD and local MQTT. That comes at a higher cost but involves less DIY and is more reliable, as both electric and gas data are also retrieved locally instead of cloud.

I’ve made no changes to anything.

The graph was ok originally, for a few days in February. The value just changed to negative one day and it’s been like that ever since.
The cost profile will of course reflect the usage, with a different amplitude.
:+1:
I did consider contacting Hildebrand but really don’t consider it their ‘problem’.

I have followed other Hildebrand threads on the HA forum - DCC seems flaky at best.
If I had bought their CAD unit, that would be different, but I’ve no real use for real time data.
I tried what was available - just because you can.
Hey ho.

I use insights+ but at the moment the updates to the Heat Reports are approximately 2 hours behind the actual time. This was fixed a couple of days ago but today the issue is back.

can anyone explain what the “Wiser xxxx heating” (orange shown in image) actually is, just looking at my history graphs it is not when the boiler on, or firing, etc, as if you look at the flow rate (blue in image), it increases before the “heating” is logged in to history ???

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 12.17.24

Its when the hub says it has requested the boiler to fire. I presume you have an opentherm boiler? It maybe that there is a different way to tell on the hub as this was originally associated with the relay which may not be totally accurate for opentherm. I would also expect maybe a small delay based on your update interval (clearly not as much as youre seeing unless you have set your interval to 5 mins).

hi, thanks for the reply, Yes I’m using OpenTherm, it strange though the “Heating: On” is not on all the time the boiler is on, it take a while before it shows, and then only for a short period of time even though the boiler is still running. I’m new to HA (only using 2 days), how do I check the interval time?.

as for opentherm and boiler firing maybe there is a varible in the opentherm specs for that, that you could add as an identity.

I see there is lots of info available for OpenTherm, how can I change the values instead of just reading them ? ie, I would like to be able to control the Hw flow setpoint and I dont see a Boiler ch flow setpoint is this missing or is Boiler ch setpoint the entity to control the Max Flow Rate for heating?, so I can get better boiler efficiency.

My idea was to use an external weather sensor to control the MAX Flow Rate for heating, so I can use Both OpenTherm and local Weather Compensation, instead of relying on Wiser’s Internet Weather Comp, as their curves seem a little lax, cuasing the Flow rates to be too high for my needs, When I was using Tado˚ I had Flow rates about 26˚c to 40˚c, but Wiser is getting quite high flows rates.

Finally got around to trying the latest implementation of passive mode. It’s fantastic - great work @msp1974 .

I found it has some issues (submitted to github), but yes indeed I found it about 90% there :smiley:.