Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Just thinking aloud… re - HA Weather Compensation

If you have a boiler that doesn’t do weather compensation, could this be achieved via HA automation using internet local weather reading + internal thermostat + boiler control?

I get that the boiler modulation won’t be perfect depending on boiler and thermostat control - but just thinking aloud.

thanks

Wiser does weather compensation without HA using an internet based weather source for it’s external temperature data.

1 Like

Hi team,
Can I add several Wiser Hubs to my Home assistant using this extension?

I appear to have list the ability to press certain buttons in Home assistant as they are greyed out.

I have rebooted numerous times since this issue started see screenshot:

Any suggestions on why this might be ?

Can you redownload in HACs. This was an issue with the latest release but it was fixed. I presume you have recently created some moments in wiser app?

Yes. It will support multiple hubs.

Mark, thanks, no I have done no configuration in the last 2 months, have never used the Moments feature in the app.

Will I loose all of my configs if I uninstall the integration and add it thru HACS ?

I have uninstalled the standard integration and tried adding thru HACS, but it get the spinning disk when I install, and it wont remove, or re-download, I just get the spinning disk.

This error originated from a custom integration.

Logger: custom_components.hacs
Source: custom_components/hacs/base.py:734
integration: HACS (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 07:53:41 (11 occurrences)
Last logged: 08:03:58

A timeout of 60! seconds was encountered while downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform/v3.4.7/README.md, using over 60 seconds to download a single file is not normal. This is not a problem with HACS but how your host communicates with GitHub. Retrying up to 5 times to mask/hide your host/network problems to stop the flow of issues opened about it. Tries left 4
A timeout of 60! seconds was encountered while downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform/v3.4.7/README.md, using over 60 seconds to download a single file is not normal. This is not a problem with HACS but how your host communicates with GitHub. Retrying up to 5 times to mask/hide your host/network problems to stop the flow of issues opened about it. Tries left 3
A timeout of 60! seconds was encountered while downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform/v3.4.7/README.md, using over 60 seconds to download a single file is not normal. This is not a problem with HACS but how your host communicates with GitHub. Retrying up to 5 times to mask/hide your host/network problems to stop the flow of issues opened about it. Tries left 2
A timeout of 60! seconds was encountered while downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform/v3.4.7/README.md, using over 60 seconds to download a single file is not normal. This is not a problem with HACS but how your host communicates with GitHub. Retrying up to 5 times to mask/hide your host/network problems to stop the flow of issues opened about it. Tries left 1
A timeout of 60! seconds was encountered while downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform/v3.4.7/README.md, using over 60 seconds to download a single file is not normal. This is not a problem with HACS but how your host communicates with GitHub. Retrying up to 5 times to mask/hide your host/network problems to stop the flow of issues opened about it. Tries left 0

I think someone has! :grinning:

Sorry didnt realise you hadnt downloaded via HACs. I meant you needed to redownload the current version. Fine to do manually if that is how you did it before. You basically have the wrong code base for the latest version.

before I raise an issue in GitHub, I want to make sure this is a bug, and not expected behaviour.

I have 2 Rooms
Lounge: is not in Passive Mode
Meda Room: is in Passive Mode

with Lounge in Auto mode, and Media Room in Off mode. If I set Away Mode to Enable, the Target temp for Lounge is set too 17.5˚c as that is what I have Away mode temp set to. all good so far, But, If I now set Media Room to Auto Mode, the Target Temp changes to 15.5˚c and not the 17.5˚c, I assume this is because the 15.5˚c was the Lower Target temp of Passive Mode, but this means the Media Room would never reach the correct Target Temp of 17.5˚c.

So do we need an additional setting temp setting for Away mode when in Passive Mode.?
or should it just set Target Temp to 17.5˚c
or is Passive Mode not working correctly with Away Mode, as IMO it should still use the Lower Target Temp (15.5˚c), but change the Upper Target Temp to what is set in Auto Mode.

Also if the Media Room is NOT in Away Mode, and in Auto, and you enable Away Mode, it dose then use both Lower and Upper Targets once in Away Mode, BUT the Upper Target does NOT change to 17.5˚c

Zoning and room-by-room control is actually a big contributor to energy savings. There is a lot of research out there from standards bodies such as BEAMA (https://www.beama.org.uk/static/uploaded/a5d0902f-aef3-4794-9bab50bf9cf97b20.pdf) and several others you can easily search for. Of course you can always have outliers (leave the windows open and try to heat a room, turn air con on in your car with the windows down - it all breaks the norm) but for the mass market, which we try to target to really make a difference to energy use globally, it works.

1 Like

I’m not an advocate of any non-academic ‘evidence’ but the ‘do you keep heating on all day’ vs ‘do you heat on demand’ is well documented. Top hit in a popular search engine - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths/

Again there is research by BEAMA that I don’t have to hand but in general, experts are great but I would always satisfy my own curiosity by looking at the academic research out there.

The Electrical Heat Switch (ELS) needs a source of temperature reading to work and as such it is designed to regulate electrical heating with a thermostat. It’s not generally an on/off controller because what it controls can get very hot just turning something on without a reliable temp reading. Having said that, this is a very capable device that may be able to do more in the future with software updates.

1 Like

thanks Jamie, Yeah alas it didnt work for me and I’ll be putting both on ebay, or selling here…

WRT towel radiator elemenets they have their own thermostat (from what I understand) but meh cest la vie.

thanks for the replies

Just a quick question, I’m relatively new to HA and struggling to set this integration up.

When I try the inital configuration of the integration, I get the error
“Unable to authenticate with the Wiser Hub. Check the secret key and try again.”

The hub was auto detected, and I’ve double checked that the auto-populated IP address is correct (192.168.1.13)

I followed the instructions to obtain the secret key, and I’ve not changed the port.

If I try to access the hub via a browser (that is, type “192.168.1.13” into Firefox), I get Error: “unauthorized”. I’m not sure if this may have anything to do with it.

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you!

Are you sure you’ve copied the whole secret? It’s easy to miss bits if you are doing it on a phone. It’s 128 characters (well, mine is)

This is it - thank you!

For some reason when I copied & pasted the text from a screenshot it was 129 characters. Double checked it and it came out with 128 and it worked! Thank you for your help

1 Like

To get the secret key, you have to connect to the wiser hub in direct wifi, SSID Wiserxxxxx
Once connected to this wifi network, open your browser and go to http://192.168.8.1/secret

Copy the secret key, the Wiser Integration will ask it when you 'll configure it in HA.

Note that if you try a new configuration from the wiser home app, with a new (direct ssid), this key will be changed so you will have to update the secret key in HA.

I have used these electronic descallers, 2 coils wrapped round a pipe an a pulse is sent to them, they work very well, we had large hot water dip tanks , plastic forming dies etc,
be prepaired to have a in line filter with a fine mesh, it will need cleaning very regularly to start with but eventualy system will be scale free, old deposits just desolve.

Electric descalers are widely reported to not work. How can a magnet descale water? The only way to descale hard water is with a water softener.

Just gotta give Drayton a shout out here. During the renovations Ive lost the plastic+metal ring on two of the TRVs… Sent an email to Drayton, do you have any spares? Happy to pay… And voila, they are sending me two sets FOC ! No questions asked, just good service… Very nice to see…

Obviously its not the norm but really nice to see. Any drayton peeps here should know this and feed this back through the right channels :slight_smile:

4 Likes