Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Hi there,

There are a couple of ways of installing the wiser extension , one of them is manually, (ie clone the repo and put the files in the right place) but I dont recommend it…

My favourite route is to install the HACS (Home Assistant Community Store) and install it from there. its pretty much point and click and will get any updates I make.

For installation instructions see https://hacs.xyz/

let me know if u have any issues

I’m considering buying this system. Sorry if this is a silly question, but does your component allow automating each thermostat & radiator e.g. only turn radiator X on when my daughter is home, rad y keep at 21c, rad z at 20c in the morning, manually setting temps via the HA app etc? I can only see mention of boosting on GitHub.

Thanks

yes you can set individual temp of rads and yes with some automation you could easily do what you want./

BUT

Wiser does this ootb and you can use IFTT to detect if your home/not and then turn the heating on/off. If you need finer grained control you can use my component…

e.g.

If mode=HOME and Only daughter home then turn down rads in main rooms etc etc etc

Does this help?

yes - thanks. Just want to make sure. I’ll need your component as I’ll have some odd automations e.g. different radiator configs depending on who’s home

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers, very helpful. I couldn’t install HACS probably because I’m using a Pi 1 and Hass.io as a test bed!
I installed your component manually and every thing appears to be working fine.

Again, huge thanks for your help.

awesome, I thought HACS was supported on all HAs…

If someone has time to help me publish it as a native component Im all ears!!!

It hung at adding the HACS integration into the config - well Hass.io stopped responding and when I refreshed the browser I was back at adding the integration. This happened every time I tried it. I suspected the Pi wasn’t powerful enough. I shut it down, removed power and booted it back up, removed the HACS folder from the custom_components dir and added your wiser component, edited the configuration as per your instructions and - there it is!

You state Boost defaults to 30 min but you also say it is in seconds, your example YAML shows 30 - is this seconds or minutes?
Also I can’t see how to boost through the Hass.io UI - it has schedule and manual icons only.
Any clarification would be gratefully accepted - thanks

This also happened for me yesterday when I first installed it on a Rpi2, tried a few times. Only becuase I got distracted and left it for longer and later came back to see it had completed and the HACS options window displayed - so just need to be patient on this one.

hi,

Thanks for the pointer, you are perfectly correct. I tried this again today because of your post and over an hour later… its there!

Cheers

1 Like

I installed my Drayton Thermostats which was a nightmare and required two different engineers as my boiler was wired up weirdly. But, the integration worked perfectly 1st time. Thanks for putting this together.

Now to start playing with some automations! Do you guys boost rooms based on motion sensors, or do you just setup schedules for each room and adjust according to who’s home?

hey,

When I wrote the integration I just wanted it so I could record temperatures etc (data goes into InfluxDB and then graphed using grafana). I’ll be honest although Ive implemented setting temps, boosting etc, I personally dont use it…

For Home/Away activation I use life360+IFFT integration (native to wiser)
That said one of my rooms is used when my mum visits its usually set to manual (12C) and when my mum visits I set it to scheduled… Your message has prompted me that perhaps I should use the life360 integration to trigger this :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

thanks for the comments. the integration appears to be pretty stable…

Great integration, just in the middle of setting it up and working out how I’m going to use it. I posted a request/suggestion to your github project yesterday, I’m no s/w engineer but I see on the Openhub integration it seems to suggest smart plug control is present?

One suggestion and one 'issue:

Suggestion - is there a way to make the entity names editable via the UI e.g. changing for ‘Wiser Living Room’ to ‘Living Room’.

Issue - I moved my thermostat from the Living Room (climate.wiser_living_room) to the Hallway (climate.wiser_hallway) within the wiser app, but climate.wiser_living_room is still reporting stale data.
Is the problem with wiser or with the integration? I’m getting a new radiator thermostat today that will go in the Living Room to become climate.wiser_living_room which should fix the problem

Im in the office now, but thought Id respond.
Code wise the integration just reports the names of the trvs from the wiser hub, it (integration) doesnt cache anything…

If your still getting the old names, as well as the new names, its because HA is caching it… I think you can delete entities in the developer console…

I’ll check when I get home

1 Like

FYI all, just release 1.7 of the integration using HACS… Let me know what you all thinkhttps://github.com/asantaga/wiserHomeAssistantPlatform

Edit : 1.8.1 Now released

1 Like

I’m getting errors when I turn Away Mode On & Off, I does actually work but I wondered if anyone could help with why Im getting the errors?

Log Details (ERROR)
Tue Jan 14 2020 22:37:26 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time)
Error setting Home/Away , error {"Type":"None","SetPoint":0} 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 133, in handle_call_service
    connection.context(msg),
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1235, in async_call
    await asyncio.shield(self._execute_service(handler, service_call))
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1260, in _execute_service
    await handler.func(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 205, in handle_service
    self._platforms.values(), func, call, service_name, required_features
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 336, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 358, in _handle_service_platform_call
    await getattr(entity, func)(**data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/wiser/switch.py", line 69, in turn_off
    self.handler.set_away_mode(False, self.awayTemperature)
  File "/config/custom_components/wiser/__init__.py", line 163, in set_away_mode
    self.wiserHubInstance.setHomeAwayMode(mode, away_temperature)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/wiserHeatingAPI/wiserHub.py", line 169, in setHomeAwayMode
    raise Exception("Error setting Home/Away , error {} ".format(self.response.text))
Exception: Error setting Home/Away , error {"Type":"None","SetPoint":0} 
Log Details (ERROR)
Tue Jan 14 2020 22:36:54 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time)
Error setting Home/Away , error {"Type":"Away","SetPoint":160} 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 133, in handle_call_service
    connection.context(msg),
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1235, in async_call
    await asyncio.shield(self._execute_service(handler, service_call))
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1260, in _execute_service
    await handler.func(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 205, in handle_service
    self._platforms.values(), func, call, service_name, required_features
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 336, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 358, in _handle_service_platform_call
    await getattr(entity, func)(**data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/wiser/switch.py", line 64, in turn_on
    self.handler.set_away_mode(True, self.awayTemperature)
  File "/config/custom_components/wiser/__init__.py", line 163, in set_away_mode
    self.wiserHubInstance.setHomeAwayMode(mode, away_temperature)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/wiserHeatingAPI/wiserHub.py", line 169, in setHomeAwayMode
    raise Exception("Error setting Home/Away , error {} ".format(self.response.text))
Exception: Error setting Home/Away , error {"Type":"Away","SetPoint":160} 

mmm which version are you using, I think we fixed this in a recent patch… The latest can be installed using HACS 1.8.1

mmm very strange… I’ll test again at home tonight and see what could be up…

It might be that your install hasnt picked up the new pypi library, (thats where the error/bug was)…

you could try
a) reinstalling
b) using pip to remove and reinstall the pypi library https://pypi.org/project/wiser-heating-api/

Thanks, I’ll try the above later and let you know if it fixes it.