Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

The test version of firmware i have is dropping wifi very rarely and only for less than a minute, so not perfect but also see other devices doing same on my wifi. I understand it has been to do with it not rescanning available wifi APs quickly enough when wifi drops to allow it to reconnect.

2 Likes

In terms of 1, i think this would be possible but i will need to work this out. However, with using this boost automation, could you not put them back in same room? Would that fix the issues you had?

In terms of 2, not really sure how you could do this as you are trying to override the basic function of the system. There is no ā€˜anti boostā€™ to stop heating and the heating would have to fire before you could detect it has started heating when not necessary. It would shorten this fire period but not stop it.

In terms of 1. I could give it ago. But how does system work when there are more than one TRV in a room?
If TRV1 reading 20C, TRV2 reading 18C, room reading 19C, set point 19.5C - are both valves operating in sync? Will both only close once room reading is 19.5C even though TRV1 by might be reading 22C and TRV2 reading 19C?
Thanks

I am new to HA and the wiser integration. i have set it up but i am having problems getting the Wiser Zigbee card to operate correctly. The screenshot shows the configuration and the network image with no wiser devices on the tree.
Can somebody help me?

Just tried it on Ipad app and PC with Bing browser and it works. Didnā€™t like Foxtrot.

Nice idea but what delay have you set before pressing the button as if the device appears offline due to a firmware update isnā€™t there a chance of bricking the hub?

10 minutes. I think that will exclude instances of firmware installation, but even if it doesnā€™t, I doubt the hub would be designed so that pressing the Setup button could brick it. If I was fully turning the hub off at the power that might be a different matter.

My thermostat got bricked while upgrading firmware because Iā€™ve restarted Hub. I wouldnā€™t be so sure about safety nets implemented.

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been answered before - is there any way to get the dashboard to create a default view on the ā€œschedule cardā€ e.g. when I log into the dashboard can it show the currrent heating shedule for the week rather than the buttons to choose a schedule?

Many thanks!

Yes. Edit the dashboard, select Edit on the card and select the schedule you wish to see from the drop down.

1 Like

Relating to post 1617 by RolandLT. Dec 12th.
I canā€™t see an answer here.

Iā€™ve asked a similar question through the Drayton Wiser help but their answer didnā€™t really clarify the iTRV operation.

Iā€™m looking to use some of the TRVā€™s in a ā€˜passiveā€™ mode.

They need to follow a setpoint schedule, but not call for heat.

Drayton says, set them to manual mode.
I canā€™t see how to do that in the app, but would also assume, it would no longer follow itā€™s schedule.

Can anyone clarify this please?

I have the Wiser integration installed in HA now and realise it should be possible here.
But it would be nice to be able to select a ā€˜passiveā€™ mode along with the scheduling in the app.

Great work though chaps.
Many thanks.

I thought I may contribute some info relating to posts read on the wayā€¦

iTRVs are not either fully open or fully closed.
They only fully open to allow easier fitting on a rad after a battery change for example.

During normal operation, I think the figure is 4-5mm of travel, from closed.
If you think about it, any position other than fully closed will pass water, so will heat the radiator.

The standard trv heads give the illusion that they are proportional.
Eg. Number 3 the valve is half open, number 4 ~60% etc.
Thatā€™s not the case. The wax capsule is the ā€˜proportionalā€™ part.
The hotter it gets, the further the pin extends.
So turning the knob (increasing number) moves it further away from fully closed, but the wax capsule pin extends to virtually completely close the valve as the rad reaches temperature. the higher the setting, the further away the capsule sits.
But it only needs to retract a few mm for heat to flow again.

Room Thermostat Display :-
Showing ā€˜Heat Onā€™ when the call to the boiler has actually switched off. The actual temperature is still below the set temperature:-

This can happen when the actual T is approaching the set T.
If the the boiler was still firing, there would be a T overshoot.
I guess they have fudged it on the room display to indicate heat is still being supplied until they are equal.

When the heat demand goes off, (boiler & pump switch off), the water flow does not just stop. (Thatā€™s why its not usually necessary for pump overun).

Thereā€™s at least a couple of gallons of water washing through the pipes and it has inertia. It can be 15mins or more, before it actually stops.

(Think of swishing around a couple of gallons of water in a bath and then taking your hand out. It doesnā€™t just stop. Put your had back in and there is a fair old force on it).

So the boiler gets a supply of cooler water and the latent heat is gradually passed around the system.

Hope this is ok.

Whatever flow remains when the pump stops (and I doubt itā€™s significant TBH) will be disrupted once zone valves close.
One thing I noticed recently that surprised me, I removed a zone valve actuator from a closed valve whilst the pump was running. The flow was sufficient to force the valve partially open.

Did you manage to recover that roomstat?

Nope. I had ticket open with wiser, but as Iā€™ve bought kit new from eBay, they said they canā€™t replace it and offered 10% discount to buy a new one from them. Iā€™ve asked for firmware file so I can try flashing it myself via serial points on PCB, but they said itā€™s a proprietary software and they canā€™t distribute lol.

1 Like

Hi,

Can anyone help with improving or altering the performance of the Wiser OpenTherm interface?

Iā€™ve moved over from a Nest+On/Off with Weather Compensation to Wiser+OpenTherm and Iā€™m quite disappointed with the performance of the system and excessive gas consumption.

Through this add-on and Boiler monitoring I can see the Wiser system frequently requesting a central heating temperature of over 80ā°C, forcing the boiler out of condensing mode and making the radiators a burn risk with a toddler in the house.

For reference - the Viessman weather compensation system wouldnā€™t select more than 60ā°C even when it was -10ā°C outside.

Is there anything I can do to reign in the OpenTherm commands, maybe set a maximum? If it became a configurable option on the interface I could use Home Assistant to replace the weather compensation function.

This occurred again. Wiser part of things seems to be working as normal (heating comes on and insights are tracking), but HA lost ability to track everything. Data stopped recording around 14:00

But logbook has these entries

14:45:50 Wiser Away Mode turned off
14:45:50 Wiser Comfort Mode turned off
14:45:50 Wiser Away Mode Affects Hot Water turned on
14:45:50 Wiser Eco Mode turned on
14:45:50 Wiser Valve Protection turned off
14:45:50 Wiser Daylight Saving became unavailable
14:45:20 Wiser Away Mode became unavailable
14:45:20 Wiser Comfort Mode became unavailable
14:45:20 Wiser Away Mode Affects Hot Water became unavailable
14:45:20 Wiser Eco Mode became unavailable
14:45:20 Wiser Valve Protection became unavailable

Let me know if and what data I need to provide to debug this.
Restarting HA makes things work again.

A bit of background on my earlier observations.
We had a new boiler installed in October and TRVs on all radiators. I was interested in trying to ā€˜tuneā€™ the installation. I had a number of ESP32ā€™s around logging temperature using Telnet to a csv file. Graphs created in excel. (10 sec sample rate. K-type thermocouples via MCP9600ā€™s).

I didnā€™t know about HA or ESPHome then.

I was intrigued by what was causing the rise in temperature shown by the HW Tank feed trace shown just after 08:00 on this trace.
Multiple traces were taken continuously over a number of days are all similar in nature.

There are no ā€˜zoneā€™ valves in this system.

The Tank Stat is calling for HW. ( Oct/Nov time before the cold spell and the heating was not on).
Three port valve in HW position. (AKA Mid Position Valve).

As you probably are aware, you can easily calculate the volume of the water involved if you know the pipe run from the boiler to HW tank. In this case, it equates to around 9 litres.
According to the Grundfoss pump data sheet, the flow rate is 0.8 to 0.9 litres / second.
Asynchronous motors cannot regenerate if they are disconnected from their supply source. So once the supply is switched off, its rotor is there for the ride. That moving mass does not stop quickly.
(ā€˜Switching off the pumpā€™ and ā€˜stopping the pumpā€™ are two entirely different entities).

How I interpreted the Tank feed trace:-

The bottom graph shows the pump switched off at 07:30hrs.

Tank feed, Tank return and Boiler out temperatures are dropping at a reducing rate.
Their thermocouples are mounted on the associated pipes.
The HW Stat temperature remains steady as that thermocouple is mounted behind the HW tank stat.

After 30 mins, the Tank feed temperature starts rising.
Conclusion:- ** Thatā€™s the time the water flow stops completely **

Heat is then being conducted along the pipe from the HW cylinder itself.
Thereā€™s no longer a water flow to disipate it.
The temperature continues to rise and finally settles just higher than the Tank Stat reading, because its pipe connects higher up the side of the HW tank. The water is hotter at the top of the tank than at the bottom.

Or I may be completely out of my tree and there is a better explanation?

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid you are right. I got cheap a full kit of 8 trv eer5300 a remote switch (for boiler 2 channel) a thermostat and a the eer21000 ethernet hub.

Iā€™m not able to have these TRVs recognized by the hub v2 wireless gateway from the ccfr6100 kit so that I also bought , that would mean that despite those all works under ZigBee standard the different hubs are not cross compatible.

I

1 Like

I wonā€™t pretend to know enough about it. Your data does seem to demonstrate water is flowing after the pumpā€™s off.
Having an S-Plan system here, both HW and CH zone valves can be simultaneously closed. When the pump is off, no valves will be open, so no route to heat the cylinder.
It had not occurred to me that with y-plan and a mid position valve, the pipework to the HW cylinder can remain open even when thereā€™s no call for heat for the HW cylinder.

Hi folks - just signed up to say thank you for such a fantastic integration.

And for the benefit of the very active Drayton staff member in the thread, this integration has been a big part of why Iā€™ve bought into all the Wiser kit. Admittedly the other part is that the Shelly TRV I bought took a month to arrive and the Drayton kit was available in Screwfix immediately.

Thought Iā€™d try and contribute by sharing something that may be fairly basic to most, but wasnā€™t to me! Iā€™ve just set up the template sensors required to have a nice history graph of my boilerā€™s flow and return temperatures. From what I understand earlier in the thread, an Opentherm connection is required between the boiler and the programmer.

Hereā€™s the sensors I created in case anybody wants to give it a go:

- platform: template
  sensors:
       flow_temperature:
         friendly_name: Flow temperature
         value_template: "{{state_attr('sensor.wiser_heating','ch_flow_temperature')}}"
         unit_of_measurement: 'Ā°C'
       return_temperature:
         friendly_name: Return temperature
         value_template: "{{state_attr('sensor.wiser_heating','ch_return_temperature')}}"
         unit_of_measurement: 'Ā°C'

I added the above to a new sensor.yaml file and added sensor: !include sensor.yaml to my configuration.yaml and after a restart you can then use those added sensors to create the history graph of your dreams. Iā€™m assuming here that sensor.wiser_heating is the generic name for the heat hub entity but it may differ between systems.

1 Like