Dual Thermostat Card

Just found this and its great for my zwave thermostat. Any chance you could put this in the core so its easier for other people to find.

@enriqg9, thanks for your help on this. I was able to make some changes to this that allow 2 new options (min_slider and max_slider). They are optional. But if you put them in, it will set the slider min and max to those values. I have created a pull request for that, if you donā€™t mind taking a look at it. Itā€™s a non-breaking change so any old configs would continue to work.

Again, thanks for this. Itā€™s awesome.

@enriqg9, just what I need. Thanks. @simpat1zq, Thank you for the min/max enhancement. Is it possible to provide separate min/max values for heat and for cool that would override the default, or override the new global setting if specified? Heat and cool min/max set points are quite different (in my house!).

Add an option for displaying thermostatā€™s humidity sensor and a label indicating which displayed temp is the set point, and the thermostat card would be complete in my opinion. Well, it would if the min/max values were shown at each end of the slider :slight_smile:
Thanks, again

When developing this I tried to stay as true to the native card as possible adding just a few key features that I thought the native card lacked.

I think that the min/max values need to stay consistent, otherwise the user experience would be odd when you switch to the Auto mode as you would have a mix of both cool and heat ranges.

I see your point about the Auto setting and min/max confusion. We heat, cool, or turn HVAC off entirely here in our Mediterranean climate. Auto has never been set.

Maybe set min/max via a value_template() based on season, HDD/CDD, positive-negative indoor/outdoor temp differential, month, etc. Iā€™m not sure how value_templates are allowed, or not, to set such parameters on cards.

Huge thanks for this, just the solution I had been looking for, for quite some time!

I donā€™t fully understand why people donā€™t like to use auto. If itā€™s really hot out, heat mode is never going to kick on in auto mode and vice versa with cool mode. If you have large temp swings (say overnight), why wouldnā€™t you want your hvac to compensate? Auto mode ensures the temperature in your home stays in a specific range, whatā€™s not to love?

Suppose Iā€™m in auto mode with a heat setpoint of 60 and a cool setpoint of 80 (super loose, this would be the hardcore energy saving mode). I can think of literally no circumstance when Iā€™m home where I would want heat or cooling to not kick on outside of that range.

We donā€™t get diurnal temp swings that would call for heat/cool in the same day, or even in the same week. We use the whole-house fan to heat/cool the house with outside air in the shoulder seasons, and at nights in the summer to avoid AC. If only I could open windows automatically, and economically, Iā€™d integrate the whole house fan into the HVAC programming. My CT80 thermostat can control a fresh-air diverter in the HVAC return ducting that could pull outside air rather than recirculate. I may look into that as well.

Fresh air intake/control with HVAC is fantastic, totally get why youā€™d want that. I also do understand wanting to prioritize cheaper cooling over running the AC, but (from my perspective) if you already have an air conditioning unit installed, why not leave it as a safety net. Surely an auto cooling setup that kicked in at 80 or even 85f would be a nice fallback. Itā€™s hard to imagine anyone with an HVAC unit not wanting to run it if someone is home and the house is actually sitting at 90f.

That all being said, one of the amazing things about HA is the ability to have it function as a thermostat. By changing the actual thermostatā€™s setpoints and controlling other systems (like intake/exhaust fans) you could do quite a lot.

An ideal thing might be to monitor:

Indoor temp
Indoor humidity
Outdoor temp
Outdoor humidity
Current power cost

and be programmed with:
target temp (possibly by time of day)
target humidity (possibly by time of day)
target aggressiveness (possibly by time of day)

and make control decisions made on these sensors parameters. Obviously per-room preferences could be included as well.

Is there a way to get this to go to aux heat mode

@enriqg9, I just updated to 86.1 and the icons for heat/cool/auto are overlapping with the fan control drop down. Is that happening to anyone else after the update?

How does your thermostat render the aux heat mode on the native card?

I think the only supported modes are auto, manual, heat, cool, off, fan_only, eco, dry, and idle.

I donā€™t have an iphone to reproduce, can you see if this happens in your browser as well? this is likely to be a conflict with CSS.

Iā€™m seeing that issue after going to .86.1, oddly enough Iā€™m seeing the actual temperature and the mode icons pushed down into the fan drop down box to the point that I canā€™t see/select the modes in Opera and in Chrome on the desktop, however it renders fine in Opera or Chrome on my Android phone.

So glad you made this. I was so agitated that my climate controls only output 2 different entities like this.

Like @simpat1zq I see this weird issue and I donā€™t know if itā€™s because of 0.86.x but itā€™s not rendering correctly on any device.

I was able to replicateā€¦ this is a CSS issue with the margins will be pushing a commit with a fix

1 Like

I tried it in firefox on Win 10.

Ok I think this is fixed with the latest commit please check the github repo and comment. HA 0.86 changed to absolute positioning. @simpat1zq @flamingm0e @garn

Should I see icons?

Yes clear your cache or update the script version on your import, your browser might be pulling a cached version