Duplicate helpers

Seeing that more and more helpers are added (:tada:), it would be great to be able to duplicate them, just like you can with automations.

I like this idea. Many times I need another helper, just like one I already made. Duplicate would allow me to just copy everything over, then just go in and change the name.

My biggest pain with UI is to create Riemann sum integral sensors and multiple Utility Meters.

I need Integral sensor for every metered socket that report only current usage in watts. The only difference is a name of sensor and input.

I also like to have a Utility Meter for these sockets and I keep track of (hourly), daily, weekly, monthly and yearly energy consumption. This means that I have to create all these sensors one by on and every time choose the source sensor and tariffs again which is very time consuming.

1 Like

We either need an easy way to duplicate helpers in the UI…
or, go in the direction the rest of the software development world (which HA kind of is), and save all UI changes in editable config, so we can easily edit and duplicate the config yaml/json by hand without fear.

2 Likes

Any update on this? This is really pain to create multiple helpers just changing room name

4 Likes

After using helpers for a while, I find this totally underrated, i.e. now we can create template sensors as helpers but this is a pain to keep tidy if we don’t have any option to mass-edit these things.
+1 for duplication or storing them into an editable configuration

1 Like

This is actually a similar request to WTH is there no option to clone/duplicate helpers - and a really good one. It already has almost 60 votes combined. As automations get more and more complex, helper management is an absolute must to keep repetitive tasks to a limit.

Duplicating the input_select helper would be a great option. I use input_select for radio stations and it was very annoying to have to create one for all rooms.

The possibility to duplicate helpers would really save a lot of time