Dutch precipitation forecast based on buienradar.nl

And in my case, the missing sensors… i was looking at my “group” which didn’t have those sensors in.

I see the changed document, it tells about the spaces. I would suggest just adding something like this text after the monitored_conditions (because you have it now in the name section, which might be confusing too)

— snip —

Please note that for any given condition you can find a similar “sensor.br_” with the exception of the following items (because they have spaces from grabbing the information)

sensor.br_wind_gust
  sensor.br_wind_direction
  sensor.br_wind_force
  sensor.br_ground_temperature
  sensor.br_wind_speed
  sensor.br_wind_direction_azimuth

Just a thought, i don’t know if possible. Would it not be easier to just name the conditions the same as the sensors?

I thought about that as well; I now updated the documentation to reflect the current way it works; so the docs reflect the current working.

What I could do, is to update the code of the sensor to name the sensors/entity id’s using the monitored_condition name and not the display name; in that case, the name of the sensor (the entity id) will be easily linked to the configured monitored_condition (and thus prevent the confusion about the condition/sensor names).

@riemers @IoTmessenger: Does that make sense to you as well?
In that case we would get sensors called:

• sensor.br_groundtemperature for the condition groundtemperature (and not sensor.br_ground_temperature)
  • sensor.thuis_windforce for condition windforce (and not sensor.thuis_wind_force)
  • sensor.weather_windspeed for condition windspeed (and not sensor.weather_wind_speed)
  • etc.

Please note that, if we go this way, the names/entity-id’s of the sensors will change when this update gets approved committed into homeassistant…

Let me know what you think about this change…

I don’t mind anymore since i know it, but i would say its a big plus to approve the new changes you just said for people just starting to use it. Also don’t mind changing my entities if it will make life easier for future home assistant users with buienradar. Your doing great work and one of the things that grabs new users is that they can install new components without too much hassle.

Weather forecast is doing just fine :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

p.s. what is the best timeframe? default was 60, i thought 30 would get quicker response, but that might be different?

@mjj4791 @riemers
Breaking changes with the next update will get a lot of current users ‘in trouble’ and should be avoided.

You could also clearly list the names of the monitored conditions and the resulting sensor names in complete examples of the configuration? Using the lists I posted above..

That way, someone starting to use this platform can easily copy/paste the example config (and just delete unwanted conditions/sensors).

Nothing wrong with a breaking change, as long as it is a good improvement. But like i said, i don’t mind but i do think it is better for new users. Even with a complete example, if items have different names it will still look strange to people that examine it.

Just like when they changed “After” to “At”, breaking change, but in the end it was a logical change. That is just my 2 cents. Fine with any choice @mjj4791 makes.

@mjj4791
I would like some adjustments on the Buienradar weather component;

Get the state to be more standardized, other platforms use:

'cloudy'
'fog'
'hail'
'lightning'
'lightning-rainy'
'partlycloudy'
'pouring'
'rainy'
'snowy'
'snowy-rainy'
'sunny'
'windy'
'windy-variant'
'exceptional'

You are using the description from Buienradar, we could map the status code (a double status code means night: aa) from buienrader to these (or more):

'a': 'clear', Vrijwel onbewolkt (zonnig/helder)
'j': 'partly-cloudy', Mix van opklaringen en hoge bewolking
'b': 'mostly-cloudy', Mix van opklaringen en middelbare of lage bewolking
'c': 'cloudy', Zwaar bewolkt 
'd': 'fog-cloudy', Afwisselend bewolkt met lokaal mist(banken)
'f': 'partly-cloudy-drizzle', Afwisselend bewolkt met (mogelijk) wat lichte regen
'g': 'partly-cloudy-thunder', Opklaringen en kans op enkele pittige (onweers)buien
's': 'thunder', Bewolkt en kans op enkele pittige (onweers)buien
't': 'heavy-snow', Zware sneeuwval
'm': 'drizzle', Zwaar bewolkt met wat lichte regen
'n': 'foggy', Opklaring en lokaal nevel of mist
'g': 'pouring', Zwaar bewolkt en regen
'u': 'partly-cloudy-snow', Afwisselend bewolkt met lichte sneeuwval
'v': 'light-snow', Zwaar bewolkt met lichte sneeuwval
'w': 'snow-sleet', Zwaar bewolkt met regen en winterse neerslag

'sunny': ['a'],
'partly-cloudy': ['j'],
'mostly-cloudy': ['b'],
'cloudy': ['c'],
'fog-cloudy': ['d'],
'fog': ['n'],
'drizzle': ['m'],
'rainy': ['g'],
'lightning-rainy': [],
'lightning': ['s'],
'hail': [],
'snowy': ['v', 'u'],
'heavy-snowy': ['t'],
'snowy-rainy': ['w'],
'windy': [],
'windy-variant': [],
'exceptional': [],

This would allow easier automation and the symbols for the new front end weather panel (or my customized one).
We could still keep the description we have now, but in a different property. We could then also add it to the forecast.

Secondly, could we add a second forecast array: percipation_forecast. This would give an array of the text document you are getting from buienradar with a DateTime. This would allow rendering it better in the front end and allows for more precise automation with templates.

What do you think about these additions? I think it wouldn’t be to much work to add, I could look into it if you like it.

Bram

Interestingly, I just happened to look into this last week; I think these are 2 useful additions to do…

Do you know where to find the dutch meanings of all weather codes, that would make mapping a lot easier?
You found many more than I did last week…

I still miss the meaning of some icons (do you know where to find their meaning):

I found them here https://www.buienradar.nl/overbuienradar/legenda

How to retrieve info from buienradar.be instead of buienradar.nl?

Great work thank you for this integration, bu i also live in belgium, and with my GPS location it gives me info about the nearest weather station in the nederlands. It would be nice to be able to retreive local info for belgium to.

1 Like
  1. Is therea way to get the forcasted rain graph directly in the tab? it would be amazing to just see the graph in the tab and not having to click on it.

2. Is there a way to link the Tab Icon to the weather forcast icon? that way the tab would show the forcast straight away

Slightly off-topic, but as the Buienradar component still doesn’t support the weather in Belgium: which currently available weather component provides the most accurate information for Belgium?

I use wunderground, it’s very accurate for me.

For buitenradar, the only thing it doesn’t have is the windchill ‘gevoelstemperatuur’ i’ve seen a couple of calculations like https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/wxcalc/windChill.pdf that can help. Found one on tweakers (dutch) on a template for the sensor. Might be nice (https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1839719) could integrate that into buienradar perhaps too?

See this thread.

1 Like

yes, working as expected, both seem to do their job, with minor differences in the details, as is expected following the windchill calculations methods available.

feel free to use/import/adjust…
cool.

I’m trying to use buienradar on my HA but it keep data from unknow part of the world. Infact for example today it report a clear day instead a cloudy day and the temperature is very different. Other Weather Tools report correct info but i hope to use buienradar too to integrate into my automations. I looked on the site and if i enter my location, it reports the correct weather…

Here the code (location is not my real location… i don’t live into ikea :smile:

- platform: buienradar
    latitude: 45.4195495
    longitude: 11.9321148
    timeframe: 5
    monitored_conditions:
      - stationname
      - conditioncode
      - condition
      - conditiondetailed
      - conditionexact
      - symbol
      - humidity
      - temperature
      - groundtemperature
      - windspeed
      - windforce
      - winddirection
      - windazimuth
      - pressure
      - visibility
      - windgust
      - precipitation
      - irradiance
      - precipitation_forecast_average
      - precipitation_forecast_total
    scan_interval: 15

Hints?

its a dutch weahter site with only dutch weatherstations.
the data from outside the netherlands on the site is probably taken from another website, and the data from the sensors must not be the same.

you have chosen station_name. what station_name does that give you?

another thing i noticed. you try to probe the site every 15 seconds. thats really not wanted on a website that doesnt update his data on that speed.
i would let it be the default scan_interval. (so lose the line)

the station name is Maastricht (6380)

Thanks for hints about probe, i disabled it

i suspected that.
you get data from the nearest station in the netherlands (maastricht)

from the docs:

The selected weather station will provide all weather data, with the exception of the forecasted precipitation. The forecasted precipitation data will be retrieved from buienradar using your actual gps-location (and not the location of the nearest weather station).

so i think you cant use it.