DWD (Deutscher Wetterdienst) integration?

One the way, so excuse some missing in teh following post:

Think DWD is out of discussion due to the facts postet, unfortunately…
Did anyone already ask those guys if there is a (basic) API available and if it can be used for private home automation? Otherwise i can ask them.

My weather station is limited to send data to DarkSky (i use this currently), BOM and ? (do not remember, have to look it up).
tried to use BOM, but it requests some IDs from station and one more. BOM support told me this should be on my weather station which is nonsense. But did not figure it out where to find the station ID and the other one…

As the station sends data on 868MHz (Germany) i might overcome all this stuff by adding an antenna for this, already have 433MHz antenna in place.
Anyone already did this and is able to receive weather station data? unsure if this really works but would be the fastest way to get the temp etc. from the own station some meters away and without up-and later downloading it from Internet…

/ Ralf

I’m working on a brightsky weather entity, pull requests for the integration and docs are up. I’m still waiting on the brightsky developers to come up with a qualitative weather condition string, that’s currently missing. Also I need to add a config flow apparently (meh).

1 Like

For those following this thread someone made a custom integration:

Not much movement there. If someone could do a review that would be appreciated. PTAL.

I’m using it locally and it works for me.

20201220_00h36m47s_grim

20201220_00h35m37s_grim

20201220_00h36m08s_grim

Any chance making it HACS compatible till it is included in core?

Hey,
it is in HACS.

But I guess it is not the version from hexa?

Sorry, I lost interest in completing this integration. If someone else wants to pick it up, please do. I’m here to answer questions if that helps.

Hi all,

I wanted to share with you yet another custom component for DWD. :wink:

You might wonder why yet another component? And why again custom and not natively integrated?

Well, actually, I have started the component already some time ago and didn’t follow up with the discussion here for some time. This component has been running at my home for about half a year already, but I had no time to upload it and add some text to it, until now.

The main reasons why it’s a custom component for now are

1. It was easier to start this way. :wink: (Actually I even couldn’t figure out how to load the component when it’s it the core component directory, even with the debugger. :see_no_evil:)
  2. It doesn’t qualify as a core component, because it gets the data directly from DWD and not via a third party library, see link above.

Seems that my component also has features that others don’t have yet, for example my component uses the actual measurements for the current weather what FL550/dwd_weather doesn’t do yet, if I understand correctly. I also have compared the results with the official Warnwetter app (at least where I live) and it seems to be very close, even for the daily forecasts that need to be calculated based on the hourly forecasts. The measurements have a small delay compared to Warnwetter, because they seem to be uploaded to the Open Data server a bit later than to the Warnwetter server, but as soon as they are available they seem to be exactly the same.

If I had more time, we could work on a collaboration to bring everything together, but unfortunately my time is very limited, so this is just provided “as is”.

My impression is that the number of usable stations is very small. Any MOSMIX stations of the DWD in the vicinity of my location, which according to the list provide a lot of data (even the relevant ones) can not be used with the integration.
And using a station that is more than 40km away relativizes the added value. Really sad. Would love to use the integration.

There is an updated version available for GitHub - hg1337/homeassistant-dwd: Custom component for Home Assistant that integrates weather data (measurements and forecasts) of Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD). which adds support for a lot more stations and a few other features. It’s now also installable via HACS. Currently only as a custom repository, but I have already a pull request open to include it as a default repository in HACS.

1 Like

A few exciting news since the last time regarding GitHub - hg1337/homeassistant-dwd: Custom component for Home Assistant that integrates weather data (measurements and forecasts) of Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD).

• In between, it has become available as a default repository in HACS :partying_face:
  • It already supports the new forecast mechanism that was recently introduced in Home Assistant that e.g. allows providing hourly and daily forecasts via the same entity.
  • New data as native attributes of the Weather Entity: dew point, cloud coverage, wind gust speed
4 Likes

Works great for me. But I get a sun icon at night in the hourly view. The screenshots show a moon icon at night. Is this a configuration part?

You should not need to configure anything special, if you have generally configured your Home Assistant correctly, like location and time zone. My integration asks the sun integration if the sun is up at the given time. The sun integration uses the location configured in your Home Assistant configuration, so the location of the station is currently not considered for the calculation.

But please notice that the moon icon only exists for clear-night. All other conditions don’t distinguish between day and night unfortunately. E.g. here at 3 the moon goes away because it gets cloudy:

Generally, I believe it’s actually the wrong approach that the distinction between day and night icons comes from the individual weather integration, because it’s something generic, not depending on the weather provider. Currently the individual integrations always provide the same values for day and night, just for sunny there is a separate state clear-night for the night.