Dynamic notify.mobile_app via response_variable

I recently got a new phone and had to update all of the hardcoded notify.mobile_app_* service calls, and thought it would be nice to future proof my next phone upgrade with the advent of response_variable in 2023.7. I figure someone else may find the script useful for this purpose, or as a ‘how to’ demonstration for utilizing the new response_variable

I’m sure not everyone’s system is setup the same way as mine, so I will mention that on my installation, the device_tracker attribute of person.xyz refers to two entities from the device_tracker domain:

1. one from my router’s integration (wifi connection, with an ip attribute), and
  2. one from the mobile app installed on my phone (no ip attribute)

Additionally, only the device_tracker from my mobile app accepts notify service calls, I wanted to filter out the device_tracker with an ip attribute.

Here is my script:

alias: get_mobile_app
sequence:
  - variables:
      mobile_app: >-
        {'mobile_app':"{{state_attr(person,'device_trackers')|expand|rejectattr('attributes.ip','defined')|map(attribute='object_id')|join(',')}}"}
  - stop: Return mobile_app ID
    response_variable: mobile_app
mode: parallel

and here is an example automation:

alias: test-mobile
trigger: []
condition: []
action:
  - service: script.get_mobile_app
    data:
      person: person.xyz
    response_variable: xyz
  - service: notify.mobile_app_{{xyz.mobile_app}}
    data:
mode: single

If anyone who works on the HASS backend code is reading this, I’d say it would be nice to be able to define a variable directly as a call to a responsive script.

I’m sure someone with a little bit of time could clean it up to be more universally adaptable, or give it the ability to notify all entities in the person domain, but I wanted to offer this to future searchers as a thanks to the community for providing answers to my past google searches.

Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

Also you need to quote your single line templates:

- service: "notify.mobile_app_{{xyz.mobile_app}}"

define a variable directly as a call to a responsive script

Something along the lines of

- variables:
      mobile_app: script.get_mobile_app

The script/automation in my original post work as posted, but probably a good rule of thumb to use the quotation marks. Thanks!

It is not a “rule of thumb”, it is required. See rule 1: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/templating/#important-template-rules