E-paper display

thanks for the quick response @Alexandru_Cruceanu! I’m looking forward to your post!

check out this addon to create automatic backups to google drive: https://github.com/sabeechen/hassio-google-drive-backup

@fredrike thanks for linking your code! it really helped me figure it out with my specific device. I’m using an Oracle Code Card badge I got at a conference. It has a 2.7 inch screen.

I’ve posted my code here:

Two questions:

1. The moon_tpl sensor is not automatically rendering a value. When I set a value in Home Assistant’s Developer Tools, the moon icon displays on the screen. Also, the sensor.moon is working and returning “waxing crescent” etc.

2. The high/low temperatures on the forecast (on the right hand side) is not displaying but the days of the week and weather icons are.

Do you have any suggestions for why the moon template sensor and high/low forecast temperatures are not rendering?

Thanks for your inspiration and help!

3 Likes

Wow it looks amazing!

Do you use the home-assistant package: esphome-nodes/homeassistant-config/package-display_node.yaml at f7a3a225c417d651b4a3937708ea4d4b2d0827ed · fredrike/esphome-nodes · GitHub

Yes I do have the Home Assistant package configured. But it’s probably worth me looking at again

Also, I wanted to ask, how long does it take for your display to refresh? Mine is configured to refresh every minute and takes seven seconds to fully cycle so I’m wondering if I should refresh less often or is there a way to quickly update the clock without a full refresh.

Mine takes several seconds, unfortunately doesn’t the library/backend I’m using support partial updates.

1 Like

Heres my weather station. Main temperatures are from actual temperature sensors inside and outside the house.
Weather forcast from openweathermap.
Used three 2.9" waveshare epaper screens because I wanted partial display refresh. Clock updates every second for seconds to update. Other 2 screen every 2 minute update, Full refresh every 12hours.
Designed my own case and 3D printed.

26 Likes

Very, very nicely done. Nice case design as well.

I am thinking about a project like this myself. It’s a bit difficult to see the actual size of the “clock”. Could you maybe share the dimensions or make a picture with some reference material in it (like a mobile phone or whatever). I would like to be able to read the time from a bit of distance so this is why I am wondering.

Thanks in advance and again, nice job!

Have you connected all threefold a single esp32 or Pi?

Beautiful work! I would love more details if you would like to share.

you can get the dimensions of the screen from waveshare site, it’s the 2.9" version I’m using.
You can read it from a fair distance because it’s epaper, way better than normal LCD digital clock.

I’m using 3 esp8266, one for each screen. Until I find a bigger screen that supports partial refresh this will have to do for now.

1 Like

what specifics would you like to know?

I was hoping for the dimensions of your full weather station, the whole 3D printed case. :wink:

Anything and everything? :grin:. Board used, firmware/program running, etc.

1 Like

Yeah! Same here!

Is it running esphome?

The dimensions are 145.5 x 105mm. 70mm deep.

This is so nice - are you able to share your yaml for the weather screen, i am just trying to set one up and an example config would be really helpful.

Andy

@psp888 it would really be in the spirit of this open source community if you could share your yaml and your 3D print files.

Community Guides https://community.home-assistant.io/c/community-guides/51 is a good place to put a howto, with a link back here. Also thingiverse is a good place to put the 3d print files.

It is not compulsory of course, but it would point to you being a good community citizen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nick … an emerging role in the pressure squad !

1 Like

Nah but plenty of people have expressed interest and I think it would make a good project to write up. I should have said that I am more than willing to help do a write up!