E-paper display

Thought I share a project I’ve been working on:
it’s using two waveshare e-ink displays to plot information from home-assistant.

Although it’s getting somewhere, it’s still a work in progress.
I’m keeping documentation here: e-paper display | Goosst blog

20 Likes

This looks super nice! Great work. Also, really clever way of pulling the data to the ESP. :+1:

Exciting project.
Really looking forward to seeing what the battery life will be with a power bank, and having both screens on :slight_smile:

These screen only use power when the display is updated, so if the screen does not update often the battery will last for a long time.

Really looking forward to seeing what the battery life will be with a power bank, and having both screens on :slight_smile:

Well, it indeed only takes power to update the screen. But the esp board has a led which is constantly turned on when fed through USB. If I redo it, I would take another esp board. So I might have to desolder the led to test its real limits. For now I’m just feeding it with a usb-charger :slight_smile: (due to the lack of a powerbank or a 18650 battery).

Really nice!

Sorry to hijack your thread, this is my current display.

11 Likes

Nice. What display are you using and is that case printed?

Are you using Esphome?

Yes, esphome and a 4.2" waveshare display and esp32 driver. Will share all code on he I’m happy with the configuration.

5 Likes

Did you share project somewhere?

1 Like

hey @fredrike

any updates on this?

1 Like

@sinty, @bachoo786

I’ve been really busy with long days and way too much Factorio (factorio.com) but here is a dump of my esphome based nodes: https://github.com/fredrike/esphome-nodes I’ve added the package-display_node.yaml which is a package file to be used on the homeassistant side. I believe contains everything from the homeassistant side needed to get the display node to work, let me know if something is missing.

Edit: Here is my updated display. The black blob is moonphase and the energy readings at the bottom is from an ESP Sparsnäs and an IoTaWatt.

12 Likes

Just wanted to show mine!
Thank you @fredrike for your code. Will post mine later

8 Likes

@makai, could you share your code?

I have replicated your project, but on a 2.9 inch Waveshare display.

6 Likes

Where do you guys buy these eink displays? Last time I checked they were incredibly expensive for their resolution and size.

Bought mine on AliExpress. Yes it’s a bit expensive, 25€ for a 4.2".

Mine is attached to a Lolin D32, SDS011 (Air Quality), a BME280 (Temp, Humidity and Pressure), a buzzer and a LED (for notification). More info here: Air Quality Sensors + E-Ink Display using ESPHome

Done here: Air Quality Sensors + E-Ink Display using ESPHome

Sorry for the delay

Hi Makai,
I have the same display ?
Have you a code to share ?

Salutations Francaises :slight_smile:

Hi Twinsen68!

Click on the link in the post just above yours :slight_smile:

Bonne lecture :slight_smile: