E-paper display

Thanks for sharing @digitalurban this is really useful. I have now found how to use my Lyligo 4.7 inch screen and I am essentially doing the same thing you are doing here, although a bit more complicated: i am grabbing the images I want to display here and there thanks to a RbPi, transform those images into 16 grey scale on the Pi and then display them on the Lyligo. The Lyligo library doesn’t allow for the direct display of images (neither JPG nor BMP) so I had to create a file format to feed the ESP32 with the right information. But it works.
I will look at your webpage grab script as it may become useful if I want to display something else!
Thanks again for your contribution…

1 Like

My second project, many thanks to @digitalurban for printing me some cases

This required a custom font to get the strava logo and I had to figure out how to retrieve the unicode for the glyph.

The code for this one, if anyone is interested is here :

2 Likes

how do you simply download from a given website a BMP file and display it on an e-paper screen…
I guess the downloading part is not the issue but you’re stuck somewhere in the displaying part?

I guess your sample code is not enough spoonfeeding.

@nickrout thank you for the kind words!
@goosst the downloading part indeed wasn’t the issue, the 4.7 EPD uses a new kind of library, different from the waveshare screens, where the image is stored on 4bits gray level with 2 pixel aggregated per byte. That gave me a hard time to decode the BMP in the right format, and I figured since I needed a few image manipulations before displaying I’d be better off doing it on my server (RbPi) with a python script then feed the transformed file directly to the EPD - which is what I ended up doing! But your code was a great starting point and inspiration.

1 Like

Hello,

I followed a different approach. I have a docker running which turns any lovelace dashboard into a png. The png is loaded onto the esp/eink. Doing so everyone can easily create any lovelace which appears on the eink display.

Inkplate6 to display Lovelace UI - Hardware - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Yours sincerely.
Ralf

1 Like

just wanted to share my own work in progress:

full code and basic documentation can be found in my repo: https://github.com/krikk/esp32_E-Paper_Display/

6 Likes

The wood looks way better than my print.

@krikk

Custom build wooden Case (thanks to my father!)

Please put your father on github.

6 Likes

Work in progress but information on Solar, Temp, Tempest weather station, water usage, mower and more

14 Likes

Crispy! :+1: Looks great, what display is this? :slight_smile:

If that’s what I think it is in the bottom right (Robot Lawnmower?), I am exceedingly jealous!!!

edit: Oh, and the display looks sharp too!

Waveshare 7.5 v2

1 Like

Yes its my Landroid lawnmower I’m getting the data from the home assistant integration. More to come but I think I really got the picture right on the display for that. :blush:

1 Like

Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to invert black and white?
(I want a black background and white text).
Thank you.

How long does the device run on battery?

doing an update every minute from 6-22h and every 5 min from 22-6 h:

started 25.3, battery out on: 20.4 :frowning:

…ordered another set of batteries :slight_smile:

…but there is a lot of potential to optimize power consumtion… e.g. only update on presence, no screen update in nights…

1 Like

How do you control the update of these displays? I haven’t found anything except the full_update_every setting, which doesn’t allow for controlling the update.

@Laurenthu , would mind to share your ESP Easy code? I just got the exact same 4.7 EPD as you, and I’m strugling a bit to make it work on my Home Assistant…
Thanks!

you can do manual updates, see my code in my repo: https://github.com/krikk/esp32_E-Paper_Display/