Earthquake Sensor

Thanks febalci. Am I reading this chart wrong as it states a 3-4 is between 0.08 and 0.25?

99% of houses in NZ are of wood construction but currently I have it just mounted on a wall. Thanks for the link as it show me the best location to get it mounted :+1:

According to Peak ground acceleration - Wikipedia, 0.25 stands for instrumental intensity VII with a “very strong shaking”, that intensity 3 you use stands for Japan JMA seismic intensity,
i do not know if you guys in NZ measure intensity according to JMA, Richter or Mercalli or any other.

I personally use the table from the link above, not the JMA table. But since your houses are wooden, that vibration could easily be reflected to the stick on the wall. Our houses are 99% concrete here in Turkey (most are poorly constructed as we did see from the recent earthquake), they tend to poorly reflect the vibration compared to wooden houses, so the energy collects and breaks the concrete and cause collapses.

In fact the best sensor to use would be OMRON D7S earthquake sensor, which is expensive compared to this, but i had non satisfactory results with that sensor.

I get false triggers with 0.008 and less with 0.010 but with 0.0150 i get no false triggers except for if someone bumps to the sensor by mistake.

Thanks febalci - we use the Ricther scale, so which table would be best to use as a comparison? I thought the in Instrumental Intensity was the comparison to Ricther

Well as far as i know, the Richter is calculated from the amplitude of the earthquake waves or from energy, which is not possible to calculate with accelerometers. So intensity scales are more logical for us citizens, it also shows the potential damage force. I am using the table from PGA Wikipedia page which i gave the link above in my previous message(Correlation with Mercalli Scale part).

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-relationship-between-Richter-scale-and-seismic-ground-acceleration says; “No direct relations exists to convert the magnitude directly to the acceleration or vice-versa. 2g could be recorded both for a M=5.8 or for a M=7.5 earthquake in the near source field.”

However, if you want a general idea, check this page out. It has a table which shows a simplified and approximate correlation between Magnitude, Intensity (MCS) and maximum ground acceleration

1 Like

Hello. You still have master-slave setup or using single?? 0.010 I hardly get false positive like your.

awesome thank you - for now mine seems stable with nothing above 0.006 so I might set the limit to 0.01

There was a Mosquitto broker addon update today. Performed the update and noticed the device shows listening, but was not updating for a few hours after the update. Had to do a reset on both the devices to get them back online.

Hello. I am wondering if you are testing the other method you mentioned in one of your posts? I would like to try, but not sure how to go about it correctly.

I think you have mentioned in one of your fixes that the sensor disconnects from mqtt after a few days. I am noticing it is still doing that. After a day or two, there are no connection be between mqtt and the sensor; however, I am still able to connect to the sensor via the browser.

Merhaba Çok özel bir konsept için bir deprem sensörü tasarlıyorum
bu üründe kullanamk için deprem sensör algılamada ne kullanabilirim

bu konuda bana önerinizi rica ederim

Saygıularımla Burhan Arslan

Would this possible using only ESPhome but with MPU6050?

1 Like

Hi @Brix1330, I am interested too.

I have an esphome with MPU connected and now I gather accel and gyro data.

How I can trasform these data in graphic sismogram?
And How I can do the calibration on esphome?

Thanks